Sign in with
Your question

What specifications should I be looking for for a 3 monitor set up?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2012 4:05:58 PM

I'm looking to purchase a new graphics card as the one I'm currently using is somewhat outdated, and has only 2 ports for output. So, there's a few things I need to know...

I've got 2 output ports on my graphics card that fit into my 2 screens. My first screen is a regular computer monitor that hooks directly to the GPU. My second monitor is a television, and with the television, I need to use an adapter (which came with my GPU) to plug it in. What are these ports called, and what would I be looking for under specifications when purchasing a new graphics card?

Finally, I also have another graphics port directly from my mobo, and I assume that I wouldn't be able to use that for a third monitor, correct?

EDIT: I'm an avid LoL, BF3 and Skyrim player and I'm looking to get a high end graphcis card, if possible.

EDIT 2: This is my current graphics card: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to set up a third monitor to this as is. Would it be wise to simply buy another one of these for a dual gpu set up?
a c 362 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
December 24, 2012 4:40:24 PM

Per the specs of that GPU you should be able to connect 3 displays to it. In order to do so you need to use both HDMI ports on the GPU and either the DVI-D or DisplayPort.

I assume you are using the DVI-D port to connect to your monitor. If your TV is an HDTV then generally you should not need to use any adapter since all HDTVs have HDMI ports. Well... maybe if you have an old HDTV or if it is simply a standard TV, then I suppose you need an adapter.

If you are going to buy another monitor (your 3rd display), then make sure it has a HDMI port otherwise you will need to buy a HDMI to DVI-D adapter.

Consult your graphic card's manual to determine exactly how to setup 3 monitors.
m
l
December 25, 2012 9:18:42 PM

jaguarskx said:
Per the specs of that GPU you should be able to connect 3 displays to it. In order to do so you need to use both HDMI ports on the GPU and either the DVI-D or DisplayPort.

I assume you are using the DVI-D port to connect to your monitor. If your TV is an HDTV then generally you should not need to use any adapter since all HDTVs have HDMI ports. Well... maybe if you have an old HDTV or if it is simply a standard TV, then I suppose you need an adapter.

If you are going to buy another monitor (your 3rd display), then make sure it has a HDMI port otherwise you will need to buy a HDMI to DVI-D adapter.

Consult your graphic card's manual to determine exactly how to setup 3 monitors.

Could you tell me which of the ports displayed in the picture of my GPU are the HDMI, and what the others are called? I'm currently using the two pictured on the right side of the graphics card. What are the ones are the far left called, and what is the one in the middle called? What adapters, if any, would I need to use the other ones?
m
l
!