Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help & Advices about my new gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 8, 2013 5:08:50 PM

Hello guys/gals, first post in TH but ive been a true follower of all the articles published in this site cos i think is very objective and informative.
Well first english is not my native language so ill try to do my best to make myself clear about the questions i have.
Ive been looking around for different parts for my new gaming rig, its mainly for gaming cos i love game, not a pro cos i dont get pay for it but i do enjoy a lot of gaming, FPS, MOBA, MMO, you name it i play it, and i made a list of some of the things i need. Ill put the list of things i have in mind and hope people in here can give me some advices and ideas about this.

1. CASE: Zalman Z11PLUS HF1 --> lot of fans, i love the style, looks pretty good to me.

2. Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, Dual Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2678-KR --> price/performance i think is what i need.

3. Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 --> Do i need the K? or the 3570 is fine? im not planing to OC this cos i dont know how to do it and i dont know if that will make the Processor life shorter.

4. Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - 4 Heatpipes, for Intel LGA775/1366/1156/1155, AMD Socket AM2+/AM3+/FM1, Abanico de 120mm --> Do i need one? or should i go with the stock one on the 3570? if i go with the K? should i get one?

5. Motherboard: AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Quad CrossFireX and Quad SLI A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 EXTREME4 --> mmmm a friend recommend me this one, what do you think?

6. RAM: 3. Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10) --> do i need the 16GB or 8GB is just fine?

7. HDD: Western Digital 2TB (2000GB) Caviar Green - Disco Duro 3.5" con 64MB Cache Buffer, SATA3 (6Gb/s) --> i had an external Seagate and it died after 2 years, lost all the info inside so i wanna go with something different like WD what do you think, is this a good choice?

8. PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Core i7 and Core i5 --> i already have this PSU on my current PC, do you think is ok or do i need something newer?

9. Monitor: I have no idea which one to get, im very confused about the 2ms or 5ms and the 60Hz/85Hz/120Hz. My biggest problem here is that in my country theres not many 120Hz monitors, those are expensive aswell so i dont know if i should spend the money on it, i do know if i get one with 60Hz i will be losing some fps from my video card but is something im gonna have to live with cos i can buy most of the parts online but the monitor is to big to take the chance and bring it to my country so for what ive been looking in local stores this are my choices or the ones i think are the best. BTW im looking for a 23" or 24" (i have a 21.5 atm so anything bigger than that will be an improvement)

-->LG IPS234V - 23" LED (IPS? dont know how that works but do this monitors are good for gaming?)
-->Samsung S23B370H - 23" LED
-->Samsung E2420L - 23.6" LCD
-->Samsung LS23B550VS - 23" LED -- looks pretty much like the s23b370h but with speakers, i dont care about speakers i always use a headset.
-->Asus VH232H - 23" LCD Full HD 75Hz it says.
-->Asus VH238H - 23" LED another 75Hz
-->Asus VH242H - 23.6" LCD dont know if this one is 75Hz or more.
-->Asus VS238H - 23" LED another 75Hz
-->Asus VE248H 24"

My favorite of those monitors was the Asus VE248H BUT so many people online complain about this monitor to have ghosting that i dont wanna take the risk and buy it cos i think is a problem with the model and if i get it ill definitely will get one with the problem in it, for the same reason i dont know if i should buy any ASUS monitor cos i dont know if its a problem with the whole ASUS monitors production, do you know what i mean? i dont wanna take the risk, but i dont know if this problem is just with the VE248H or all of the models.
Other than that i like the LG IPS and the Samsung S23B370H but i dont have much experience with monitors so i dont know.

Sorry for the big post, hope you guys can help me get my ideas clear and start buying part for my new gaming rig.

More about : advices gaming build

a b 4 Gaming
February 8, 2013 6:04:32 PM

6. 8GB is more than enough
7. Green would be wrong as primary hdd, you need black or blue. not green
8. 750w is too much - 550w should be enough. at least 80+ bronze quality
9. Asus VH232H looks good to me , imo
February 8, 2013 6:21:45 PM

butremor said:
6. 8GB is more than enough
7. Green would be wrong as primary hdd, you need black or blue. not green
8. 750w is too much - 550w should be enough. at least 80+ bronze quality
9. Asus VH232H looks good to me , imo


Tx for ur advices, i didnt know about the HDD, just picked the one i found with a good price, whats the difference btw?
the PSU, i cant do anything about it, i had that one since last year so ill go with the same PSU.
About the RAM, is there any 8g u recommend?

And the monitor, at this time is my biggest concern, dont know if i should get ASUS, dont wanna end up with a ghosting problem. does anyone had any problem with other ASUS models or is just a gosting problem in the VE248H?
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
February 8, 2013 6:30:12 PM

because green's purpose is storage, when black/blue are better suited for running os and programs
ram - g.skill, corsair, kingston ,just make sure it's low profile to avoid trouble when installing 212 evo and 1.5V because i5 needs 1.5V

February 8, 2013 6:35:59 PM

butremor said:
because green's purpose is storage, when black/blue are better suited for running os and programs
ram - g.skill, corsair, kingston ,just make sure it's low profile to avoid trouble when installing 212 evo and 1.5V because i5 needs 1.5V


ok black it is, 1TB 7200RPM and 64MB cache, is cheaper too so ill get that one, if i need storage then ill buy an external

so u think i should get the heat sink then?
a b 4 Gaming
February 8, 2013 6:46:27 PM

well it's cheap enough and will keep cpu few degrees cooler than intel's box heatsink.
February 8, 2013 10:14:47 PM

tx again for the help.

About the monitor i was hoping more opinions from people on the forums.

anyone has another opinion or experience with any of this monitors?
March 8, 2013 1:04:08 AM

Jos3H2R said:
Hello guys/gals, first post in TH but ive been a true follower of all the articles published in this site cos i think is very objective and informative.
Well first english is not my native language so ill try to do my best to make myself clear about the questions i have.
Ive been looking around for different parts for my new gaming rig, its mainly for gaming cos i love game, not a pro cos i dont get pay for it but i do enjoy a lot of gaming, FPS, MOBA, MMO, you name it i play it, and i made a list of some of the things i need. Ill put the list of things i have in mind and hope people in here can give me some advices and ideas about this.

1. CASE: Zalman Z11PLUS HF1 --> lot of fans, i love the style, looks pretty good to me.

2. Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, Dual Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2678-KR --> price/performance i think is what i need.

3. Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 --> Do i need the K? or the 3570 is fine? im not planing to OC this cos i dont know how to do it and i dont know if that will make the Processor life shorter.

4. Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - 4 Heatpipes, for Intel LGA775/1366/1156/1155, AMD Socket AM2+/AM3+/FM1, Abanico de 120mm --> Do i need one? or should i go with the stock one on the 3570? if i go with the K? should i get one?

5. Motherboard: AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Quad CrossFireX and Quad SLI A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 EXTREME4 --> mmmm a friend recommend me this one, what do you think?

6. RAM: 3. Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10) --> do i need the 16GB or 8GB is just fine?

7. HDD: Western Digital 2TB (2000GB) Caviar Green - Disco Duro 3.5" con 64MB Cache Buffer, SATA3 (6Gb/s) --> i had an external Seagate and it died after 2 years, lost all the info inside so i wanna go with something different like WD what do you think, is this a good choice?

8. PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Core i7 and Core i5 --> i already have this PSU on my current PC, do you think is ok or do i need something newer?

9. Monitor: I have no idea which one to get, im very confused about the 2ms or 5ms and the 60Hz/85Hz/120Hz. My biggest problem here is that in my country theres not many 120Hz monitors, those are expensive aswell so i dont know if i should spend the money on it, i do know if i get one with 60Hz i will be losing some fps from my video card but is something im gonna have to live with cos i can buy most of the parts online but the monitor is to big to take the chance and bring it to my country so for what ive been looking in local stores this are my choices or the ones i think are the best. BTW im looking for a 23" or 24" (i have a 21.5 atm so anything bigger than that will be an improvement)

-->LG IPS234V - 23" LED (IPS? dont know how that works but do this monitors are good for gaming?)
-->Samsung S23B370H - 23" LED
-->Samsung E2420L - 23.6" LCD
-->Samsung LS23B550VS - 23" LED -- looks pretty much like the s23b370h but with speakers, i dont care about speakers i always use a headset.
-->Asus VH232H - 23" LCD Full HD 75Hz it says.
-->Asus VH238H - 23" LED another 75Hz
-->Asus VH242H - 23.6" LCD dont know if this one is 75Hz or more.
-->Asus VS238H - 23" LED another 75Hz
-->Asus VE248H 24"

My favorite of those monitors was the Asus VE248H BUT so many people online complain about this monitor to have ghosting that i dont wanna take the risk and buy it cos i think is a problem with the model and if i get it ill definitely will get one with the problem in it, for the same reason i dont know if i should buy any ASUS monitor cos i dont know if its a problem with the whole ASUS monitors production, do you know what i mean? i dont wanna take the risk, but i dont know if this problem is just with the VE248H or all of the models.
Other than that i like the LG IPS and the Samsung S23B370H but i dont have much experience with monitors so i dont know.

Sorry for the big post, hope you guys can help me get my ideas clear and start buying part for my new gaming rig.




That’s actually a good set up. For the your new monitor for gaming, you can go for a Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED or a Samsung E2420L - 23.6" LCD. I used to have an Acer but I was not really happy with how it looks like when I play. So I decided to switch to the two. Hope that helps.

You can check this site for other options:
http://www.***/new-monitors-gaming
!