Computer rebooting

March 19, 2005 5:13:02 PM

I have Windows XP Home edition and my computer seems to spontaneosly restart
when running applications such as Mcafee virus scan or Knights of the old
republic 2. When it happens the solution I get from Microsoft that it's a
driver problem. So at first I thought it was my video card so I replaced it
with a Radeon 9250 256 DDR. That seemed to make it less frequent but it still
happens. I have uninstalled my video card, sound card, and my Mcafee twice
now and now I am getting to my wits end.

Does anyone have a solution to my dilemia?

More about : computer rebooting

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 6:09:43 PM

"Danielshea72" <Danielshea72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP Home edition and my computer seems to spontaneosly
>restart
> when running applications such as Mcafee virus scan or Knights of the old
> republic 2. When it happens the solution I get from Microsoft that it's a
> driver problem. So at first I thought it was my video card so I replaced
> it
> with a Radeon 9250 256 DDR. That seemed to make it less frequent but it
> still
> happens. I have uninstalled my video card, sound card, and my Mcafee twice
> now and now I am getting to my wits end.

Hello... First thing to do is to disable the machine from automatically
rebooting. This will bring up a blue-screen (stop error) which we'll be
able to use to hopefully hunt down the problem.

To disable it from auto-rebooting, go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
Startup and Recovery settings / and uncheck Automatically restart.

Then the next time the machine crashing, it will throw up a bluescreen
hopefully with some information on it. If you jot down that and post back
with it, it should narrow down the problem some what.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

March 21, 2005 8:11:03 AM

How long has this been going on? I just started getting similar problems
in the last 3 or 4 days, after over a year with no problems at all.

Either our hardware is all failing at the same time, or its software related.

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> "Danielshea72" <Danielshea72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Windows XP Home edition and my computer seems to spontaneosly
> >restart
> > when running applications such as Mcafee virus scan or Knights of the old
> > republic 2. When it happens the solution I get from Microsoft that it's a
> > driver problem. So at first I thought it was my video card so I replaced
> > it
> > with a Radeon 9250 256 DDR. That seemed to make it less frequent but it
> > still
> > happens. I have uninstalled my video card, sound card, and my Mcafee twice
> > now and now I am getting to my wits end.
>
> Hello... First thing to do is to disable the machine from automatically
> rebooting. This will bring up a blue-screen (stop error) which we'll be
> able to use to hopefully hunt down the problem.
>
> To disable it from auto-rebooting, go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
> Startup and Recovery settings / and uncheck Automatically restart.
>
> Then the next time the machine crashing, it will throw up a bluescreen
> hopefully with some information on it. If you jot down that and post back
> with it, it should narrow down the problem some what.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/
> http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.
>
> *Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*

March 22, 2005 11:08:11 AM

Richard,

If your system just started rebooting and you haven't installed any
updates, software, or new drivers your system may just be overheating. Open
it up and see if there is dust accumulated on the heatsinks and cooling
fans. It is not uncommon for the system to have enough cooling until a game
or 3d app is started.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How long has this been going on? I just started getting similar
> problems
> in the last 3 or 4 days, after over a year with no problems at all.
>
> Either our hardware is all failing at the same time, or its software
> related.
>
> "Paul Smith" wrote:
>
>> "Danielshea72" <Danielshea72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have Windows XP Home edition and my computer seems to spontaneosly
>> >restart
>> > when running applications such as Mcafee virus scan or Knights of the
>> > old
>> > republic 2. When it happens the solution I get from Microsoft that it's
>> > driver problem. So at first I thought it was my video card so I
>> > replaced
>> > it
>> > with a Radeon 9250 256 DDR. That seemed to make it less frequent but it
>> > still
>> > happens. I have uninstalled my video card, sound card, and my Mcafee
>> > twice
>> > now and now I am getting to my wits end.
>>
>> Hello... First thing to do is to disable the machine from automatically
>> rebooting. This will bring up a blue-screen (stop error) which we'll be
>> able to use to hopefully hunt down the problem.
>>
>> To disable it from auto-rebooting, go to Control Panel / System /
>> Advanced /
>> Startup and Recovery settings / and uncheck Automatically restart.
>>
>> Then the next time the machine crashing, it will throw up a bluescreen
>> hopefully with some information on it. If you jot down that and post
>> back
>> with it, it should narrow down the problem some what.
>>
>> --
>> Paul Smith,
>> Yeovil, UK.
>> http://www.dasmirnov.net/
>> http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.
>>
>> *Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 11:10:57 AM

Hi Danielshea72,

To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
hesitate to e-mail me back. Good Luck,

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft