Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about cord hookups.

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2013 6:05:44 PM

I got my sapphire video card and my corsair cx600 power source today and I have a few questions about general hook up. The PCI-E cords (2) coming from my cx600 don't seem to fit with the sapphire's PCI-E sockets. The sapphire came with two PCI-E cords that DO fit into the sapphire (obviously). The other end of this PCI-E cord is male, and looks like it can be inserted into the power sources other cord (female). Is this the correct hook up?

This is my first time building a computer, so I also need to ask:

Will the wrong hookup possibly damage my computer in any way?

How do I know if everything is hooked up correctly?

There are extra ends on the cords coming out of the cx600, do I need to have these covered?

Are there possibly cords from the power source that I won't use?

More about : question cord hookups

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2013 7:11:18 PM

What video card do you have? It will most likely use the PCI-E 6 pin (there is a 6+2 pin for highend cards, but you most likely will not use these) Your PSU, from what I looked up, should have (2) PCI-E 6+2 pin cables. You will use the 6pin part and the little 2 pin will just hang loose for each of these you use. Very few cards use an 8pin (6+2) connector. They do fit, just make sure you aren't trying to plug them in upside down becasue each of the little 6 pins are keyed.

The power adapter(s) that came with your card are most likely a 4pin Molex to 6 pin PCI-E adapter. You will not use these since your PSU has these cables already. Just store them with your manuals.

All the connectors are keyed to prevent you from putting them in the wrong place. You should have a 20+4 pin main mother board connector and then a 4(ATX) or 8(EPS) pin CPU power connector as well. That should be all your motherboard needs from your PSU. The PCI-E is used for your video card and then the Molex or SATA power is for drives. You do not need to cover the unused connectors, but I would suggest using some zip ties to secure them in a convenient spot as to not obstruct airflow and to keep them from possibly touching something the wrong way. The pins are set back in the connectors, but you never know.
February 8, 2013 7:35:15 PM

Best answer selected by DenyOrReply.
m
l
February 8, 2013 7:38:57 PM

There are two 6 pin PCI-Es. You answered my question - thank you. I do have ties to use once I have everything in place (just need to put in the RAM and the SSD now).
m
l
!