Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on this first build? (3570k, GTX 660)

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2013 8:12:31 PM

Hi TH, in a few days I hope to be building my first PC (been a long time coming) that I will use primarily for gaming at mostly high settings but also any uni-related work (software engineering).

As I'm from New Zealand there is quite a heavy premium on computer parts and also being a student I don't have quite the amount of currency I would have enjoyed to spend. Here's the build anyway:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz
Storage: Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black (no window)
Power Supply: Corsair CX-600M Modular 600W
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG

Existing monitor can only do 1680x1050 but I'm not too fussed about that and I'll be looking to upgrade that later in the year, as well as add in a terabyte HDD. But for now it's fine

My main question is whether now is a good time to build or maybe wait a month or two (not sure what that will achieve). I'll be ordering these parts in 2 days otherwise. But I'd like to get thoughts on the individual parts or the system as a whole. All this comes to around $1750NZD which is $1463USD so yes it's very expensive to build here in NZ compared to the States :(  any opinions/advice appreciated! I can have a bit of movement of about $150NZD
February 8, 2013 8:39:57 PM

From what I've heard, it seems like there won't be any new components coming out in the next few months, so other than waiting to get more money or to see if prices drop a little, I don't think that there is much reason to wait on building a computer.

Your system seems good overall, granted I do try to avoid Corsair's CX series (they have poor quality caps in the CX series, unlike Corsair's higher end PSU models). Something such as an Antec VP-450 would be better and right now, Newegg has a sale on the Antec Basiq+ 550W modular PSU for under $50. That's another good, cheap option.

Also, I suggest having a CPU cooler with direct touch heat pipes if you intend to overclock an Ivy bridge CPU. They tend to respond better to such coolers than those that don't have them. Good examples around your cooler's price include some high-end Xigmatek coolers and the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme.
February 8, 2013 8:53:54 PM

blazorthon said:
From what I've heard, it seems like there won't be any new components coming out in the next few months, so other than waiting to get more money or to see if prices drop a little, I don't think that there is much reason to wait on building a computer.

Your system seems good overall, granted I do try to avoid Corsair's CX series (they have poor quality caps in the CX series, unlike Corsair's higher end PSU models). Something such as an Antec VP-450 would be better and right now, Newegg has a sale on the Antec Basiq+ 550W modular PSU for under $50. That's another good, cheap option.

Also, I suggest having a CPU cooler with direct touch heat pipes if you intend to overclock an Ivy bridge CPU. They tend to respond better to such coolers than those that don't have them. Good examples around your cooler's price include some high-end Xigmatek coolers and the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme.

The VP-450P looks really good and cheap, I think I'll just deal with a non-modular PSU and save some money. However would 450W be enough? Especially if I wanted to upgrade to a new GeForce card later this year.

Not the biggest range in high-end Xigmatek coolers and the Tuniq cooler doesn't seem to exist here! I think this NZXT cooler will be sufficient though.

Thanks for the help :D 
Related resources
February 8, 2013 8:57:46 PM

If you want to upgrade the graphics, then the VP-450 would probably be insufficient, but the 520-550W models from Antec, XFX, and a few others would still be plenty so long as you don't get multiple top-end cards. I'll see what I can find for coolers in New Zealand, but if necessary, you're cooler will be fine.
February 8, 2013 9:04:58 PM

blazorthon said:
If you want to upgrade the graphics, then the VP-450 would probably be insufficient, but the 520-550W models from Antec, XFX, and a few others would still be plenty so long as you don't get multiple top-end cards. I'll see what I can find for coolers in New Zealand, but if necessary, you're cooler will be fine.

I'm looking at FSP Group Aurum 550W, it's quite reasonably priced. Would this be a better option to the Corsair one? Good luck on finding one :p 
February 8, 2013 9:23:03 PM

That should be better than the CX 600 AFAIK, granted I don't have a lot of experience with that series and can't be totally sure.
!