Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My New Rig!

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 8, 2013 8:27:29 PM

So, My old 4 year old custom PC died... And I'm buying a new one - Gonna make it myself 'fcorse.

Anyway i got about 1200€ and no more, but i did set up a good rig for 1255€.

Here's what i got (for the 1200€), with links!

MOBO: Asus p9x79 ( http://goo.gl/mL30n )
CPU: Intel i7 3820 ( http://goo.gl/lRiK6 )
CPU cooler: Scyther Grand Kama Cross ( http://goo.gl/OPN13 )
PSU: XFX 850W Black edition ( http://goo.gl/Kz07B )
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 16Gb ( http://goo.gl/oOfGg )
HDD: Western Digital WD10EZEX ( http://goo.gl/Pyq8W )
GPU: 2X XFX Radeon HD 7870 ( http://goo.gl/vpFb2 )
Case: I already have a Cooler master HAF 922 w/ 6 fans
CD-ROM: Already have one

So... this is the first PC I built (this one was by my Brother) and i still don't know all the things... Anyway here are some questions:

-Would a 850W PSU power a system like this?
-Does the PSU look ok, and does it have the appropriate connections or whatever? (if not please send my a link to any PSU under 150€ that would be good for my setup)
-Is the GPU option ok? Because i'm going to Triple-screen on 3 19" diplays so i figured it's better for 2 good cards than 1 amazing card. What do you think?
-Will everything fit together and do i get all the cables (like sata, power supply cables ect) when i buy these things or do i need to buy them seperately?
-Would a setup like this run something like Crysis 3 on triple screens?
-Do you think i could get anything better for the price? and if so, what?

Thanks!

More about : rig

February 8, 2013 8:33:25 PM

-use a i5 3570k if you are gaming
-use a asrock z77 extreme4 motherboard, gigabyte z77x-ud3h, z77x-ud5h or a asus z77-v pro. you dont need x79
-a cooler master hyper 212 evo is a better choice
-750w is sufficient
-get one powerful video card such as the gtx 670 or the 7970 instead. getting 2 weaker cards is never as good as a single powerful card. if you are going triple monitor (assuming you already have 3 monitors, other wise dont waste your time), get the 7970
-crysis 3 is hard to max out, even with a gtx 690. but only time and driver updates will tell

also, if you have money left over, get a 120/128gb SSD to speed things up. id also recommend you to post this in German over at the german forums (if you happen to be german given the url)

February 8, 2013 8:55:59 PM

TheBigTroll said:
-use a i5 3570k if you are gaming
-use a asrock z77 extreme4 motherboard, gigabyte z77x-ud3h, z77x-ud5h or a asus z77-v pro. you dont need x79
-a cooler master hyper 212 evo is a better choice
-750w is sufficient
-get one powerful video card such as the gtx 670 or the 7970 instead. getting 2 weaker cards is never as good as a single powerful card. if you are going triple monitor (assuming you already have 3 monitors, other wise dont waste your time), get the 7970
-crysis 3 is hard to max out, even with a gtx 690. but only time and driver updates will tell

also, if you have money left over, get a 120/128gb SSD to speed things up. id also recommend you to post this in German over at the german forums (if you happen to be german given the url)



Sorry I'm sticking with a i7, i have an i7 now, and once you go i7... you can't go back... But the 7970 have quite low clock speed for the price... I mean the asus 7970 has a clock speed of 925 and 5.5ghz memory clock, while the listed xfx has 1050mhz clock speed and 5000 memory speed... except for the 384bit thing and 3gb, what makes these cards any better ffrom the 7870, with a price diference of 220€?

Also i understand 750w is enough but is the PSU i listed ok? Does it have the nescercary connections?

Oh yeah, I'm not german, nor do i speak it, I just live in EU and the german amazon is the cheapest place around!

thanks!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 8, 2013 10:16:26 PM

i have a i7. i turn off hyper threading (i turn it into a i5). no performance lost whatsoever. its stupid to get one for gaming

clockspeed is irrelevant when you are comparing different GPU chips. a pitcarin 7850 at 1.5ghz still wont be as powerful as a tahiti 7970 at stock clocks.

and plus, you can tweak the overclocking yourself.

a single card is always better than 2 cards. it uses less power, does not have scaling issues (2 cards dont mean 2x performance of a single card), is not as prone to micro-stuttering, and leaves you a upgrade path

750w is enough
February 8, 2013 10:20:03 PM

What 7970 do you reccomend?

And whick PSU do you reccomend?

Thanks!!
February 8, 2013 10:22:31 PM

sapphire, xfx and gigabyte are good choices for a 7970. the 7970 from asus is triple slot and doesnt cool better so no recommendation there

for sapphire, look for the dual x or the toxic editions. but if they are too pricy, i wouldnt get them

for gigabyte, grab the cheapest windforce 3x card

for xfx, grab the cheapest double dissipation card
February 8, 2013 10:51:11 PM

TheBigTroll said:
sapphire, xfx and gigabyte are good choices for a 7970. the 7970 from asus is triple slot and doesnt cool better so no recommendation there

for sapphire, look for the dual x or the toxic editions. but if they are too pricy, i wouldnt get them

for gigabyte, grab the cheapest windforce 3x card

for xfx, grab the cheapest double dissipation card



UUUUUUUUUUUU just found a SWEET Gigabyte 7970 with 6000 mem. clock and 1100 core! check it!

http://www.amazon.de/GIGABYTE-Grafikkarte-GV-R797TO-3GD...

Is there any stronger card for a simmilar price?

What do you think of it?

I'm just dissapointed at only the 4 inputs... the asus has 6 inputs or more, but i'm not buying asus gpu again... Because i'm gonna get a broken, 7yr-old screen from someone soon now, so it's a total of 4 screens, the 4th just to monitor temps, time, fan speed ect. when gaming...

Anyway, should i go for it?

here's a psu: http://www.amazon.de/ZT-Series-OCZ-ZT750W-Stromversorgu...

it's 80+ bronze, but i don't know if it has the right inputs for the CPU, MOBO, GPU, ect...

And are all the other parts listed above compatible?

thanks!!!
February 9, 2013 12:38:53 AM

the gigahertz edition is not much faster. the difference can be easily achieved through overclocking
February 9, 2013 12:51:41 AM

Then overclock the gigahertz edition :p 
February 9, 2013 1:30:12 AM

they all end up in the 1250 mark anyways.
February 9, 2013 7:34:21 AM

I,m not really thinking of Overclocking.... So now i am between Sapphire or gigabyte.

So as far as I know:

Gigabyte 7970
CC: 1100
MC: 6000 (1500)

Sapphire Vapor X
CC: 1050
MC: 6000 (1500)

Both are 384bit... So which one should i get for tripple screening?
February 9, 2013 10:29:45 AM

well the whole point of custom coolers on cards is so that you can overclock. its easy and it takes less than a minute

i wouldnt recommend a ghz edition 7970 at all since you arent going to overclock and that they are 50 euros apart
February 9, 2013 10:43:39 AM

TheBigTroll said:
-use a i5 3570k if you are gaming
-use a asrock z77 extreme4 motherboard, gigabyte z77x-ud3h, z77x-ud5h or a asus z77-v pro. you dont need x79
-a cooler master hyper 212 evo is a better choice
-750w is sufficient
-get one powerful video card such as the gtx 670 or the 7970 instead. getting 2 weaker cards is never as good as a single powerful card. if you are going triple monitor (assuming you already have 3 monitors, other wise dont waste your time), get the 7970
-crysis 3 is hard to max out, even with a gtx 690. but only time and driver updates will tell

also, if you have money left over, get a 120/128gb SSD to speed things up. id also recommend you to post this in German over at the german forums (if you happen to be german given the url)


These recommendations are good, though I disagree on the video card changes. Crossfire 7850/70s(SLI 660/660TI) has the best performance for the price. You should probably go with an 850w psu to give you room for degration over time if you do go to 7850/70s. Benchmarks @ get one powerful video card:Metro2033 for 1 example As far as performance is concerned there is no question about what's the better buy. If you CF 7850s you will smoke any 7970, and especially the suckers who bought 7970s day one instead of just CF the more reasonable models in the 7000 series. I would argue for CF 7850's as they are the sweet spot. The only downside to a CF build is dealing with drivers, which aren't too bad but better with nvidia, and increased PSU requirements/bill every month lol.

Edit: Here is a resource on the i5 3570k vs i73770k Not The Best Benchmarks but true none the less. Hyperthreading and 100 dollars is the only difference between these two processors.

Edit 2: More resources
February 9, 2013 10:52:10 AM

if you are running triple displays, you will need the extra vram and mem bus provided by the 7970. you might get a tad more performance out of CF 7850s and 7870s on a single screen, but id doubt on 3

cf video cards also draw more power

and also, a 7850 cf will only need a 650w psu. they draw around 120w full load a piece
February 9, 2013 10:53:43 AM

gustafangus said:
Sorry I'm sticking with a i7, i have an i7 now, and once you go i7... you can't go back... But the 7970 have quite low clock speed for the price... I mean the asus 7970 has a clock speed of 925 and 5.5ghz memory clock, while the listed xfx has 1050mhz clock speed and 5000 memory speed... except for the 384bit thing and 3gb, what makes these cards any better ffrom the 7870, with a price diference of 220€?

Also i understand 750w is enough but is the PSU i listed ok? Does it have the nescercary connections?

Oh yeah, I'm not german, nor do i speak it, I just live in EU and the german amazon is the cheapest place around!

thanks!


Soooo basically you just want an i7 sticker. I see now
February 9, 2013 11:09:48 AM

TheBigTroll said:
if you are running triple displays, you will need the extra vram and mem bus provided by the 7970. you might get a tad more performance out of CF 7850s and 7870s on a single screen, but id doubt on 3

cf video cards also draw more power

and also, a 7850 cf will only need a 650w psu. they draw around 120w full load a piece


A 3 monitor display will run better on cf 7850 than a single 7970, 79fps vs 55 fps on metro, 2560x1600p(Even higher than a cheap 1080p 3way set up) Resource. Single 7970/680s or really anything over the 850/660 levels are pointless when you can CF them for 30+ fps over the 7970s and 680s for a cheaper/equal price. Interested on a source for 7870s full load, but if you are positive then a 650w sounds great.
February 9, 2013 11:11:42 AM

Potential said:
Soooo basically you just want an i7 sticker. I see now


I don't think he understands that there is no difference xD, hopefully he will take a look at the benchmark sources above and think about it.
February 9, 2013 1:04:09 PM

I like the i7 3820 because of it's LGA 2011, the fact that is has quad-channel ram (most i5 boards have dual) is already a bonus + look at the 8 Ram slots! Isn't it amazing?! This PC isn't just for gaming, it's for high-end video making, rendering, multi-tasking and much more!

As for the GPU... i have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about. I understand that maybe (maybe) 2 7870's (xfx 7870 ) that i listed, might outperform a sapphire 7970, atleast that's what i understand. But aparently some games don't handle 2 cards, there's more risk factions, bluescreens and so on.

Could you just tell me 2 things:

1. What should i get (2 xfx 7870 or 1x 7970 sapphire)
2. Will the 850W PSU i listed (link below) have the appropriate inputs for the power? I don't know, will the cable go into the MOBO, or the GPU i don't know this...

thanks!
February 9, 2013 1:43:18 PM

gustafangus said:
I like the i7 3820 because of it's LGA 2011, the fact that is has quad-channel ram (most i5 boards have dual) is already a bonus + look at the 8 Ram slots! Isn't it amazing?! This PC isn't just for gaming, it's for high-end video making, rendering, multi-tasking and much more!

As for the GPU... i have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about. I understand that maybe (maybe) 2 7870's (xfx 7870 ) that i listed, might outperform a sapphire 7970, atleast that's what i understand. But aparently some games don't handle 2 cards, there's more risk factions, bluescreens and so on.

Could you just tell me 2 things:

1. What should i get (2 xfx 7870 or 1x 7970 sapphire)
2. Will the 850W PSU i listed (link below) have the appropriate inputs for the power? I don't know, will the cable go into the MOBO, or the GPU i don't know this...

thanks!


1. Better performance with cf 7870, by roughly 30+ fps.

2. An 850W Corsair/Seasonic Gold PSU will have the appropriate inputs for the power. The pcie cables from the psu go into the gpu.

3. Quad channel has no performance increases in gaming whatsoever, 8 dimms slots is useless as 8GB is all that is used in any games, and 16 is plenty of buffer room. Any game that doesn't handle cf 7870s will run fine on 1 7870. Any big title that is graphically intensive will run cf 7870. There are no blue screens provided things are set up properly and the only risk factor is you have 2 components instead of 1 that can fail. If they are working on arrival they will work for the rest of their lifespans. If that is a big worry and you live in the US/Canada get XFX cards(Lifetime Warranty), if you live abroad go MSI. The main things I want you to take away from this thread is that quad channel vs dual channel memmory has no bearing on fps, and cannot be noticed outside of synthetic benchmarks. And a 3820 will perform = or worse than an i5 3570k in games while simultaneously being 100 dollars more expensive + 100 dollars more expensive on the motherboard side of the equation. GL with your build, but unless you make money in your "high-end video editing/rendering" I would go with the i5 and render things 20seconds slower pocketing 200 bucks to throw at SSD.
February 9, 2013 2:13:41 PM

you do notice that a i7 3770k is still faster than the 3820
February 9, 2013 2:29:53 PM

TheBigTroll said:
you do notice that a i7 3770k is still faster than the 3820


Again with the CPU's... I'll decide on the CPU just please tell me, if having dual cards is stable.

On this thread (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/315156-15-single-du...) they say there are software/hardware compatibility problems, dual gpus have shorter life span...

(this was taken from the thread):

Pros:
-Fast
-Able to add another to get Quad SLI/Crossfire
-Have lots of life in them

Cons:
-When they get outdated its more expensive to replace...
-You can SLI/Crossfire two or more cards and have it equal or rival the dual GPU
-You can only pair two of them together
-Loud
-Hot
-Power Hungry (But most SLI/Crossfire setups are)
-2x the Chance to get a DOA (Two GPU's in there)
-Drivers can be Iffy (Crashes/BSOD's/Stuttering/Ect)...
-Games will see it as a SLI/Crossfire setup, and not all games are able to use SLI/Crossfire

BigTroll, would you reccomend dual gpus?
February 9, 2013 3:05:04 PM

its stable, but i wouldnt do it. id never recommend 2 weaker video cards over a single stronger GPU
February 9, 2013 3:29:18 PM

There, i did it! I have forged a computer, that has never been forged before!!!

Anyway, here's what i got:

I drop the price on the MOBO and get a ASROCK X79 Extreme4

http://www.amazon.de/ASRock-X79-Extreme4-Mainboard-Spei...

and i get a bundle on Amazon for 550€ that includes:

the ASrock mobo, Intel i7 3820, and 16gb of ram!!!

So then i get the HDD for 65€, PSU for 110€, the CPU cooler for 35€ and...

the SAPPHIRE ATI HD 7970 6GB CARD!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.de/Sapphire-Grafikkarte-GDDR5-Speiche...

how much you ask?

A rig for 1195€!
Will this work good for my 3 screens? :D 
February 9, 2013 4:47:24 PM

as i said, the i7 3770k performs better than the 3820 in everything. dont waste your time

the 6gb card is unecessary. the 3gb will do for smaller triple panel setups
February 9, 2013 4:51:42 PM

Would you mind telling me what are the Core and Memory clocks of the 6GB card? I can't find it anywhere! all sites talk about the 7970 GHZ edition, which this one isn't...

And what cables do i need to connect the GPU to th PSU? That's something i don't know! the compatibility between the PSU and the GPU, CPU, MOBO...

thanks!
February 9, 2013 5:19:03 PM

i wouldnt recommend a 6gb card as i said before. you are not running 5760x1080 or higher resolutions so its kind of a waste of the extra vram

the specs from what i know are 1100mhz core and 1150mhz boost. something that you can do in 1 mins

you need 2 6+2 pin cables
February 9, 2013 5:34:27 PM

As some final questions, i need to ask:

-does the PSU have all the cables needed to power the MOBO, CPU, GPU ect...
-What is the Memory Clock of this card? And does it have the button for boost? (the lethal button)
-Do i need to buy any additional cables for my rig? Sata, power cables... anything?

thanks!
February 9, 2013 9:36:29 PM

gustafangus said:
Sorry if i'm overwhelimg you... But i found this other MOBO that is 20€ more expensive but has 8 dimm slots.. that's a plus!

http://www.amazon.de/X79-Extreme6-Mainboard-Speicher-24...

what do you think?


We think you don't listen to reason. X79 8 dimm slots isn't beneficial to performance just as quad channel memory is completely useless at increasing fps. X79 chipset doesn't support trim in raid 0 either. You should get the extreme 4 ASRock mobo or MSI g45 Mobo priced at 139-109 respectively, coupled with an i5-3570k, 8GB 1600mhz ram and keep your crossfire 7870 setup. Take the money you saved from the motherboard/i7 and grab a Plextor m5p 128gb ssd/Samsung 840 Pro. /thread
February 9, 2013 9:48:37 PM

Praxeology said:
We think you don't listen to reason. X79 8 dimm slots isn't beneficial to performance just as quad channel memory is completely useless at increasing fps. X79 chipset doesn't support trim in raid 0 either. You should get the extreme 4 ASRock mobo or MSI g45 Mobo priced at 139-109 respectively, coupled with an i5-3570k, 8GB 1600mhz ram and keep your crossfire 7870 setup. Take the money you saved from the motherboard/i7 and grab a Plextor m5p 128gb ssd/Samsung 840 Pro. /thread



I know it's not benefitial, it's just nice to have 8 dimm slots, if future upgrading. I decided to keep my 12gb ram from my previous PC, because it was almost new.

I don't know what "trim raid 0" is nor did i find anything useful on the web, so if you could tell me what that is ... i would be happy. :) 
February 9, 2013 9:52:40 PM

you can slot 32gb of ram into the z77 platform. x79 is totally useless for you. dont waste your time

raid 0 is running 2 hard drives as if they are one. you can get double the speeds, but then it doesnt exactly equate to 2x noticeable performance gains.

trim is to clean up garbage that your SSD (if you have one) collects that can slow down the SSD. on x79 there is no trim when you are running SSDs in raid 0
February 9, 2013 9:59:51 PM

gustafangus said:
I know it's not benefitial, it's just nice to have 8 dimm slots, if future upgrading. I decided to keep my 12gb ram from my previous PC, because it was almost new.

I don't know what "trim raid 0" is nor did i find anything useful on the web, so if you could tell me what that is ... i would be happy. :) 


TheBigTroll said:
you can slot 32gb of ram into the z77 platform. x79 is totally useless for you. dont waste your time

raid 0 is running 2 hard drives as if they are one. you can get double the speeds, but then it doesnt exactly equate to 2x noticeable performance gains.

trim is to clean up garbage that your SSD (if you have one) collects that can slow down the SSD. on x79 there is no trim when you are running SSDs in raid 0


All of this.
February 10, 2013 7:26:51 AM

Ok, but since i'm not ordering till next week, if i would buy a system like this, would the xfx 850w psu be good for my system? Would it have the cables for the motherboard, hdd ect. ?
February 10, 2013 12:27:29 PM

yes it has everything needed to power the system
February 10, 2013 2:55:31 PM

Praxeology said:
All of this.



Yeah, so i decided to go with dual cards. And i found a 7950 card for 270€. There are about 3 cards but they're all differend editions, and Amazon has their specs mixed up together.

Anyway i Can either get 2 XFX 7950 Black Editions:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00713RTQ2/ref=s9_simh_...

2 of the Core Edition:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0074CCDTS/ref=s9_simh_...

or 2 of the double dissipation:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008LTJPKS/ref=s9_simh_...

(although the DD edition on Amazon looks nothing like the one on the forums...

Now as far as i can tell the Black Edition is the best of the listed above.

What cards do YOU think i should get?

I heards someone saying that if you don't have good cards in CF , there can be micro-stuttering. Do you think the black edition or any of these will micro-stutter?

thanks!
February 10, 2013 3:41:43 PM

links dont work

of course double dissipation would be better than core edition cards
February 10, 2013 3:51:30 PM

TheBigTroll said:
links dont work

of course double dissipation would be better than core edition cards

Yeah sorry bout the links...

Anyway

I found a black edition xfx and it's only 10€ more expensive...

Would you recomend the double dissipation or the Black edition?

The black has 900mhz CC instead of the DD which has 800

An it's memory clock is 5500mhz! instead of 5000mhz...

Anyway, what is better?

Dual DD or dual Black editions?

Oh, and i'm sorry about the many questions about the PSU, ims just afraid about buying something that wont be compatible or wont work...

But does the XFX 850W psu have the inputs for 2 cards? and is it strong enough?!

thanks...
February 10, 2013 3:54:42 PM

i need to see the black edition please. if it still has 2 fans, get it. otherwise dont

the xfx 850w is more than powerful enough for 2 7970s. calm down on that part
February 10, 2013 3:58:16 PM

TheBigTroll said:
i need to see the black edition please. if it still has 2 fans, get it. otherwise dont

the xfx 850w is more than powerful enough for 2 7970s. calm down on that part



http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00713RTQ2/ref=ox_sc_ac...

I wanted to quick edit the message to put the link, but you answere before i could do that xD

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00713RTQ2/ref=ox_sc_ac...

Btw.. it supports Crossfire, right? :D 

oh, and is there a diference between the single and double fan card? Is it just the cooling, or is there also a diference in power?

But Sometimes Amazon pictures (atleast german) are... well not as theyy seem but if you say this card is ok, i'll risk it!

thanks mate...
February 10, 2013 4:34:35 PM

the black edition is basically a double dissipation card with a custom pcb rather than the stock pcb that the regular double dissipation comes with

the difference between a single fan and a double fan card is just cooling

is there any sapphire cards around that price point?
February 10, 2013 5:00:12 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the black edition is basically a double dissipation card with a custom pcb rather than the stock pcb that the regular double dissipation comes with

the difference between a single fan and a double fan card is just cooling

is there any sapphire cards around that price point?


http://www.amazon.de/Sapphire-Radeon-Grafikkarte-Speich...

this is the Sapphire, but not as strong as the XFX.

There is also a Gigabyte, but the price keeps going higher... I don't know.

What do you think about the Gigabyte?

http://www.amazon.de/Gigabyte-Radeon-Grafikkarte-Speich...

Listen, some items cant be dispatched to my country from amazon DE, so if you could arrange these cards (sapphire, xfx, gigabyte) from 1-3 which i should get (if i cant i get the next one) please?

I'm really confused about these cards...

thanks!
February 10, 2013 5:10:58 PM

the gigabyte should cool a little better than the xfx, but are very close. pick the cheaper one

February 10, 2013 5:12:59 PM

gustafangus said:
http://www.amazon.de/Sapphire-Radeon-Grafikkarte-Speich...

this is the Sapphire, but not as strong as the XFX.

There is also a Gigabyte, but the price keeps going higher... I don't know.

What do you think about the Gigabyte?

http://www.amazon.de/Gigabyte-Radeon-Grafikkarte-Speich...

Listen, some items cant be dispatched to my country from amazon DE, so if you could arrange these cards (sapphire, xfx, gigabyte) from 1-3 which i should get (if i cant i get the next one) please?

I'm really confused about these cards...

thanks!


I would really recommend going with either 7850 or 7870 in CF. The fps difference is about 10 each series vs a difference in 200-300 bucks.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_7950_cro... 7950 CF Metro benchmark vs

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4798/his_radeon_hd_785... 7850 CF Metro Benchmark

Keep in mind these are different test systems/metro settings potentially. Overall however, the fps difference would be anywhere between 5-20fps vs a 200+ dollar difference, probably more in EUR.

I recommend either 7850

Or 7870

With the money saved you can pocket it, buy a new keyboard/mouse/headphones, or anything else you might desire.
February 10, 2013 5:22:09 PM

I have a gigabyte windforce 7870 completely overclocked and it always stays decently cool. I might be biased but I would say get that one. Also, all this talk about .5ghz here and there is pointless. You won't ever have the cards side by side for a comparison and they will all do what you need them to without issue regardless of + or - .5ghz. Last, I'll jump on the i7 3820 is a stupid idea bandwagon. Get an i7 3770k. Its faster and cheaper. Games use no more than 4 cores (most still use one or two), and most people with i7's like TheBigTroll disable hyper-threading because it will actually be BETTER for gaming. For crap's sake, I can max most games at 1080p and I have an i3(dual core) and a 7870. There's a reason the i5 is the king of gaming chips. finally, wanting a gazillion gigs of RAM is stupid as well. Games use 4gb of RAM. Most people just get 8gb and call it a day. Its more than enough for gaming.
February 10, 2013 5:23:07 PM

Thanks to you both, but i'm getting the 2 Gigabyte 7950 since it's 3€ more expensive and quite better than the XFX.

BTW @TheBigTroll doesn't the XFX have more memory clock? or is it just another lie on Amazon? LoL

If they can't ship to slovenia, i'll get the XFX.

I'll post if i have another question!

thanks !
February 10, 2013 5:25:33 PM

tiny voices said:
I have a gigabyte windforce 7870 completely overclocked and it always stays decently cool. I might be biased but I would say get that one. Also, all this talk about .5ghz here and there is pointless. You won't ever have the cards side by side for a comparison and they will all do what you need them to without issue regardless of + or - .5ghz. Last, I'll jump on the i7 3820 is a stupid idea bandwagon. Get an i7 3770k. Its faster and cheaper. Games use no more than 4 cores (most still use one or two), and most people with i7's like TheBigTroll disable hyper-threading because it will actually be BETTER for gaming. For crap's sake, I can max most games at 1080p and I have an i3(dual core) and a 7870. There's a reason the i5 is the king of gaming chips. finally, wanting a gazillion gigs of RAM is stupid as well. Games use 4gb of RAM. Most people just get 8gb and call it a day. Its more than enough for gaming.



Thanks for you opinion!

I'll think about the CPU thing, but I'm keeping my RAM from my previous PC (12gb 1600mhz) since i bought it like 4-5 months ago, it's still good!

thanks anyway
February 10, 2013 6:10:10 PM

gustafangus said:
Thanks to you both, but i'm getting the 2 Gigabyte 7950 since it's 3€ more expensive and quite better than the XFX.

BTW @TheBigTroll doesn't the XFX have more memory clock? or is it just another lie on Amazon? LoL

If they can't ship to slovenia, i'll get the XFX.

I'll post if i have another question!

thanks !


it has the memory overclock alright, but you can do that in one minute as i said before
!