New Build LF advice

h4nzGr0per

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hello,
I'm new to the forums. I've been looking around them for a couple of days. Gonna build me a new gaming rig in the next few weeks i haven't build one in several years been using a laptop(P7805u). Got a online buddy helping put together a parts list. Tell me what you guys think.

Thanks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.42 @ Amazon)
Total: $984.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-08 17:30 EST-0500)

Solution
It could use some work. 16GB of memory is a waste of money over 8GB (there are no benefits at all for gaming to go beyond 6GB and won't be any time soon, we only go to 8GB because that's a symmetrical kit for dual channel systems). That PSU is way overkill for this system. If you're getting an after market CPU cooler, you should get a better one because the Evo isn't a huge upgrade over the stock AMD cooler. Also, there's no need for an aftermarket cooler unless you're doing significant overclocking and in that situation, a better motherboard is also recommendable.

An example of the minimum that I'd get for cooling and motherboard for overclocking would be a Zalman Optima and a cheap 990X or 990FX motherboard.

Also, for the PSU...
It could use some work. 16GB of memory is a waste of money over 8GB (there are no benefits at all for gaming to go beyond 6GB and won't be any time soon, we only go to 8GB because that's a symmetrical kit for dual channel systems). That PSU is way overkill for this system. If you're getting an after market CPU cooler, you should get a better one because the Evo isn't a huge upgrade over the stock AMD cooler. Also, there's no need for an aftermarket cooler unless you're doing significant overclocking and in that situation, a better motherboard is also recommendable.

An example of the minimum that I'd get for cooling and motherboard for overclocking would be a Zalman Optima and a cheap 990X or 990FX motherboard.

Also, for the PSU, something such as an XFX Pro Series 550W or something along those lines would be more adequate for this system. Something such as a Capstone 750W is better for if you had two high end graphics cards instead of just one.

I also think that you could do better with the SSD, but that's a less pressing concern. For example, Vertex 4, Samsung 830, Vector, Crucial M4, Plextor M5S, Plextor M5P, or at least Intel 330 would be better.

Solution