Multiple Display, with Netflix streaming on secondary monitor = FPS dp

Status
Not open for further replies.

publicenemy219

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I am using my 32inch TV to watch netflix and stream while I play videogames on my monitor. Whenever I do stream Netflix I see a significant performance drop on my games, at least 20 FPS or more. Whenever I minimize it on the other screen, the FPS goes back to normal. The games I am playing don't require many resources to begin with so I think it may be a config issue or driver issue, since I never had this issue before. I have also seen a performance drop in some of the games I've played in the past, such as WoW. Which I am not averaging 40FPS with everything on ultra excluding shadows. Not sure If I should reformat my harddrive (recently upgraded to windows 8, with all my files and settings intact), or test to see if its a hardware issue, which I doubt. Note: These issues were present prior to upgrading windows 8, I thought upgrading might remedy the issue.

Heres my DXDIAG. I should be able to use a multi display set up with my current build.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/7/2012, 12:20:35
Machine name: RONALD-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/02/11 14:36:59 Ver: 08.00.15
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16376MB RAM
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 570

What you are experiencing is normal. The graphics card is rendering the graphics in the game and it is also processing the video stream to be displayed on your other screen. This is especially true if you are watching HD videos. The best thing to do is not to watch videos while playing games. The next best thing to do is to buy an inexpensive graphics card that is dedicated just for the 2nd monitor.

I recommend a passively cooled card like the following GT 210 so that do not have to deal with additional noise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130606

Status
Not open for further replies.