Computer Randomly Freezes, Part II

imail724

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
So after thinking my problem from this thread was solved and choosing the best answer, i had the same issue occur once again. Here is my original post again, I hope someone can help me get to the bottom of this because it is driving me mad:

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the right section, but I've been having a really irritating issue with my PC for a while now and I'm hoping someone can help me. Every now and then (pretty sure only when I'm playing a game or watching a video), my computer will completely freeze on me, leaving me no choice but to hard reset it. I originally started having an issue where my pc would go black and become non-responsive back in February of last year (see thread at techsupportforums), but it has since started to just freeze on whatever screen I am currently on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Appreciate any help. Thanks!

· OS - Windows 7 x64
· Age of system - ~ 2 - 2.5 years
· CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
· Video Card - MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready
· MotherBoard - GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3 AM3+ AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD
· Power Supply - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series 550W

Happy to provide any additional information.
Thanks

chavez1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I have been having the same type of issue/s and have tried all the same help people have had to offer, in all the dfferent post I've read online.
To actually fix this issue I ended up having to go to the device manager and check for driver updates on all my devices, one at a time. I think the ones that had updates that fixed this issue were the ACPIx64-based PC under the computer drop down and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, specifically the ICH ATA and SATA AHCI controllers (I think these made the difference). I checked them all, but these were the only ones that had updates. Once those were updated and the computer was restarted, it has stayed on. It's been on for a day now and no problems so far.