Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Am I getting the performance I'm supposed to get with this system?

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2013 10:47:28 PM

Hey everyone

I bought parts and built a PC for gaming last summer, but people are saying they get a higher performance than I do. Maybe they are exaggerating but maybe they aren't. I want to check. These are my specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z77A GD-80
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k (Overclocked to 4.3 GHz without extra cooling. Doesn't crash for me but 4.4 does)
GPU: MSI GTX 680 (not overclocked, not SLI)
RAM: 3x4 GB of ram, 1333 MHz. I don't know the timing but I'm sure they are around 10s and 11s since it's taken from an HP pre-built computer. HP happens to be crap.
HDD: 2TB western digital HDD, also taken from that pre-built HP PC.

Don't know what else to list that's relevant.

Anyway... If I use the Ultra pre-set on wristcutfield 3 (bf3 is frustrating no matter how good you are) I get around 60 fps, hell I even fall to the 50s some times. These are on 64 players conquest servers. Campaign is around 80 fps average.

Is this what the gtx 680 capable of? Is it my CPU? Is everything all right? What is up?
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2013 10:53:56 PM

Your talking FPS's above the refresh rate of the monitor (likely 60), more FPS is pointless as the screen cant even display it.
And a constant 60FPS in Ultra BF3 is pretty good performance.

Also you want aftermarket cooling on the CPU. That stock cooler is good for exactly that, stock.
m
l
February 8, 2013 10:56:20 PM

manofchalk said:
Your talking FPS's above the refresh rate of the monitor (likely 60), more FPS is pointless as the screen cant even display it.
And a constant 60FPS in Ultra BF3 is pretty good performance.

Also you want aftermarket cooling on the CPU. That stock cooler is good for exactly that, stock.

Yes but I want to record my gameplay. That drags me down to an unstable 50, 45 fps. If I was only playing the game then that's fine. But why do some others report 70-90 fps? That's what I really want to know... They did not mention SLI.
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2013 11:06:43 PM

When recording with something like FRAPS, other factors such as your storage setup come into play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGDgzlc7mA

Ideally, you want to be recording to a drive dedicated for that purpose, even better if its an SSD.
m
l
February 8, 2013 11:10:40 PM

manofchalk said:
When recording with something like FRAPS, other factors such as your storage setup come into play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGDgzlc7mA

Ideally, you want to be recording to a drive dedicated for that purpose, even better if its an SSD.

I'll watch that, thanks.
Any ideas if my motherboard is fully compatible with my cpu?
m
l

Best solution

February 8, 2013 11:16:09 PM

Its an LGA1155 board, and its an LGA1155 chip, its compatible. Its also Z77, so your getting the full capability of your k series chip.
February 9, 2013 3:14:53 AM

Best answer selected by MorbidDesire.
m
l
January 27, 2014 4:45:26 AM

MorbidDesire said:
Best answer selected by MorbidDesire.

you should use shadowplay now that it's out if your not already using it
m
l
!