Sign in with
Your question
Solved

650 watt enough for 7970 setup?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2012 11:17:37 PM

I was told 550 was barely enough becuase the combined voltage of 44 on 2 rails was just a couple of AMPS over then whats required so im in the process of returning it to amazon. I saw this nice corsair psu http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E98I0G/?tag=pcpapi-20

Its 650 watts i dont know how many amps the 12v rail has but its a single rail though. Would this work for my setup? How do you plug in the psu to the gpu is it one single wire? Or 2 can i just put in one wire?

More about : 650 watt 7970 setup

Related resources
December 25, 2012 2:52:59 AM

ok i will get that one im just waiting for the price to go down
m
l
December 25, 2012 4:39:15 AM

i had to reread the link, newegg has made this one a little confusing, but it is already "down" and will be going up in two days. There two $20 discounts, one instant, one mail in. If this helps.
m
l
December 25, 2012 4:56:29 AM

Do you have this unit though? Ive read DOZENS of negative reviews saying it makes loud chirping noises when the fan goes on or off. And thats after they exchanged it i dont want any problems. So im probally just going to get an antec 630 modular
m
l
December 25, 2012 9:00:15 AM

No I don't, you just indicated you were interested and I pointed out it was already on sale. I have a OCZ (PC Power & Cooling) 700w (actual 2 of them in 2 machines) going on 6 years. Been good with sli and overclocking.
m
l
December 25, 2012 10:07:12 AM

gamer23 said:
Do you have this unit though? Ive read DOZENS of negative reviews saying it makes loud chirping noises when the fan goes on or off. And thats after they exchanged it i dont want any problems. So im probally just going to get an antec 630 modular

I've not heard anything negative about Corsair's HX or AX power supplies. I had an HX 750 for a while and it was a perfect PSU. Also have been impressed with my AX 1200.
m
l
December 25, 2012 12:55:17 PM

BigMack70 said:
Also have been impressed with my AX 1200.

How is that feeling when you already have about 500-600W of IDLE wattage?
m
l
December 25, 2012 1:13:43 PM

ilysaml said:
How is that feeling when you already have about 500-600W of IDLE wattage?

Well, it just so happens that I've measured the power draw of my system and under an OC load I'm pulling down 750-950W of juice depending on the particular load... so yeah... pretty happy with my AX1200.

Also, my system is under load 100% of the time since I have it mining bitcoins (I have free power).

Remember too that the ideal load to keep on your PSU is about 50-75%. Pushing 90%+ loads on your PSU is a bad idea in the long run...
m
l
December 25, 2012 2:39:05 PM

BigMack70 said:
Well, it just so happens that I've measured the power draw of my system and under an OC load I'm pulling down 750-950W of juice depending on the particular load... so yeah... pretty happy with my AX1200.

Also, my system is under load 100% of the time since I have it mining bitcoins (I have free power).

Remember too that the ideal load to keep on your PSU is about 50-75%. Pushing 90%+ loads on your PSU is a bad idea in the long run...

Yeah but I'm 100% sure that your system doesn't consume more than 650W with everything OCed to the max. A 950W is a bit of unrealistic saying with your system listed specs.
m
l
December 25, 2012 2:41:35 PM

I could run a system with 4 HD 7970s with that AX 1200w :lol: 
m
l
December 25, 2012 5:24:41 PM

I don't think you understand how much more power draw a Lightning sucks down compared to a regular 7970 when overclocked...

Your arrogance is amusing, but I think I understand my system and its power draw better than you do, especially since I have a Kill A Watt monitor and have measured it. (Oh and by the way it's a fairly expected result if you had actually read 7970 Lightning reviews) :non: 
m
l
December 25, 2012 6:02:48 PM

BigMack70 said:
I don't think you understand how much more power draw a Lightning sucks down compared to a regular 7970 when overclocked...

Your arrogance is amusing, but I think I understand my system and its power draw better than you do, especially since I have a Kill A Watt monitor and have measured it. (Oh and by the way it's a fairly expected result if you had actually read 7970 Lightning reviews) :non: 

Of course I do understand and I do know and I have read all of the reviews from;
Toms, techpowerup, guru3d, hardwarecanucks, hardwareheaven and finally legitreviews and I can say, and there's non confirms your claims. Do I have to come up with some quotes and charts?

m
l
December 25, 2012 6:54:52 PM

ilysaml said:
Of course I do understand and I do know and I have read all of the reviews from;
Toms, techpowerup, guru3d, hardwarecanucks, hardwareheaven and finally legitreviews and I can say, and there's non confirms your claims. Do I have to come up with some quotes and charts?

O you mean like this chart?
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4641/msi_radeon_hd_79...

Or this one (which isn't even overclocked)?

Or how about this one (notice how it sucks down over 300W before any OC)?

You don't know what you are talking about. You don't have the cards, I do. I've measured the power draw and even seen 1000W+ on my system draw when the CPU and GPUs are at 100%. 850-900W+ marks are common while I'm bitcoin mining. Benchmarks show that even an individual, stock clocked lightning can in some circumstances draw almost 400W of power. Sure, if you stock clock your lightnings they will only pull down average 7970 numbers in some tests (e.g. Guru3d's test), but that is not indicative of stressful situations and absolutely doesn't represent what happens when you start cranking the voltages up and running power demanding applications.

Get some facts and come back and see me. Oh, and since you're trying to derail things in an off-topic direction, how about you take it up via PM if you want to try to argue that you know better than I do how much power my system draws rather than making a fool of yourself here.

:non:  :pfff: 
m
l
December 25, 2012 7:36:14 PM

Quote:
stock clocked lightning can in some circumstances draw almost 400W of power

Merry Chrsitmas!

I swear I knew you'd come with the tweaktown numbers, I never trusted this website or linked a single link from it so I didn't include it in my reviews database.

And in case you can't see, that's "total system wattage" from the legitreviews" with "furmark" bench, which there's nobody on earth runs furmark 24/7. And again, with these results, considering you are running 2 of the cards, you shouldn't exceed 750W running furmark 24/7.

Same story for the Maximum test by techpowerup;
Quote:
Maximum: Furmark Stability Test at 1280x1024, 0xAA. This results in a very high non-game power consumption that can typically be reached only with stress testing applications

From the Peak test, which is the maximum load that any average user can experience with the MSI lightening, the card draw 233W, close to the guru3d test which scored 203W throwing a hefty stressing game.

OCING? OCing will add around 80W at best results, giving a card total power of 300W, so 2 of it in CF mode we're talking about 600W, adding 160-180W to an OCed i7 system with some fans so we're talking about a 750W and that's of course in case you're running the PC @ load 24/7.

Fortunately HARDOCP tested the card when OCed at full load and reported the Total System wattage;

A 558W at full load with an OCed power hungry i7 930 and OCed 1190 MHz HD 7970.

m
l

Best solution

December 25, 2012 7:49:52 PM

Get the Seasonic, it got the gold award from hardwaresecrets, a good PSU reviewer site.

You plug in both PCIE 6 PIN and PCIE 8 PIN connector.

For a single HD 7970, you don't need more than a quality 500W PSU, 550W for some room and heavy OCing 24/7.

December 25, 2012 8:59:07 PM

The fact that you keep trying to say you saw the power readings from my computer is hilarious. I don't know what you're trying to prove, especially when multiple results clearly show that it's very possible for a Lightning card to draw 400W+ of power under an intensive load. You're clueless about what my machine uses in terms of power. So stop making a fool of yourself, especially when you post reviews showing a 7970 drawing about 400W of power which is roughly around where mine appear to be.

BTW, bitcoin mining is more power intensive than gaming... but again, you are just blowing hot air for no discernible reason.

You came on here to try and make fun of my build (Why?) and instead you're just posting nonsense. Take your arrogance elsewhere.

@OP, definitely get that seasonic. It's easily the better option of the two - Seasonic is one of the best PSU makers out there.
m
l
December 25, 2012 10:18:37 PM

ok thanks guys i wil get the sea sonic a 550 is not enough amps to spare for aging the seasonic is i beileve 50 which is way more than enough
m
l
December 25, 2012 10:18:53 PM

Best answer selected by Gamer23.
m
l
December 26, 2012 2:46:37 AM

BigMack70 said:
You came on here to try and make fun of my build (Why?) and instead you're just posting nonsense. Take your arrogance elsewhere.

No I came to give an explanations for those who don't know the required wattage for their systems and might follow your recommendation just because you don't know the proper system wattage you must have. Open a thread in the CPUs section claiming a 1200w PSU for a dual card and you'll get like a " :o  " from the geeks there.

Again, Furmark stresses every capacitor and coil on the graphics board to push the power to the limits and that's apart from the temperature side, try running Furmark for 24/7 days and kiss goodbye your GPUs.

m
l
!