Column: Getting Older Games to Run on Windows XP

New Column: Gaming writer Joel Durham describes how to use the Program
Compatibility Wizard, search for user-created fixes, find product updates and
patches, and introduces a couple of tools that can help improve your gaming
experience.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/expert/durham_og.mspx

Ask questions or post comments about the article here.
Kathie Werner
Tech editor, vendor [MS]
9 answers Last reply
More about column older games windows

    In news:B453B0B5-2F50-4BF4-847E-4BFF3ECEED5D@microsoft.com,
    Kathie Werner <KathieWerner@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > New Column: Gaming writer Joel Durham describes how to use the Program
    > Compatibility Wizard, search for user-created fixes, find product
    > updates and patches, and introduces a couple of tools that can help
    > improve your gaming experience.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/expert/durham_og.mspx
    >
    > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.
    > rights.

    It's well written. Bookmarked and scanned but not completely "read" if you
    know what I mean. Thanks for the link.

    Galen

    I have sucessfully been able to run every ms-dos program I have ever owned -
    lots of games -including transmitter/satellite receiver programs to work on
    XP-Which is critical as broadcast transmitters will be around for 20-30 years
    of life.

    I have had one problem I can't fix..... In Duke Nukem 2, I can have it say
    "he's back" during the intro by telling it that it is sound blaster and
    restarting, or I can hear the guns shoot if set to PC speaker and
    restart---Is there anyway to fool it into doing both? The pc sounds are not
    handled by soundblaster when sound blaster is selected.

    In news:57673769-BF97-4665-AABC-F0B62BEB34CC@microsoft.com,
    Al Simpson <Al Simpson@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I have sucessfully been able to run every ms-dos program I have ever
    > owned - lots of games -including transmitter/satellite receiver
    > programs to work on XP-Which is critical as broadcast transmitters
    > will be around for 20-30 years of life.
    >
    > I have had one problem I can't fix..... In Duke Nukem 2, I can have
    > it say "he's back" during the intro by telling it that it is sound
    > blaster and restarting, or I can hear the guns shoot if set to PC
    > speaker and restart---Is there anyway to fool it into doing both? The
    > pc sounds are not handled by soundblaster when sound blaster is
    > selected.

    If the advice on the page didn't help with that one particular game you can
    always take a peek here:

    DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

    Galen
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Thanks for you article - however I'm still having problems getting older
    programs to run. Actually they were running just fine on XP SP2 until about 3
    weeks ago. The only thing I've changed is installing MS Antispyware (an
    amazing product!!)

    The error mesage I get is this: C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system
    file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
    Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. Dialog box title is '16 bit
    Windows Subsystem'

    And the application won't run at all. The one I really want to run is an
    older version of Paradox - the first Windows version - designed for 3.1. I
    have one other game designed for 3.1 which also won't run, Riverboat
    Solitaire.

    I have gone thru all your steps and they do not have any effect. Do you have
    any suggestions? I don't think it's the Antispyware as I have that on another
    computer running XP SP1 and they run fine. Thanks!
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Nevermind I figured it out.

    "Bettylou" wrote:

    > Thanks for you article - however I'm still having problems getting older
    > programs to run. Actually they were running just fine on XP SP2 until about 3
    > weeks ago. The only thing I've changed is installing MS Antispyware (an
    > amazing product!!)
    >
    > The error mesage I get is this: C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system
    > file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
    > Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. Dialog box title is '16 bit
    > Windows Subsystem'
    >
    > And the application won't run at all. The one I really want to run is an
    > older version of Paradox - the first Windows version - designed for 3.1. I
    > have one other game designed for 3.1 which also won't run, Riverboat
    > Solitaire.
    >
    > I have gone thru all your steps and they do not have any effect. Do you have
    > any suggestions? I don't think it's the Antispyware as I have that on another
    > computer running XP SP1 and they run fine. Thanks!
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Bettylou,
    Your problem is the same as my problem but I haven't figured it out! What
    do I do?

    "Bettylou" wrote:

    > Nevermind I figured it out.
    >

    > "Bettylou" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for you article - however I'm still having problems getting older
    > > programs to run. Actually they were running just fine on XP SP2 until about 3
    > > weeks ago. The only thing I've changed is installing MS Antispyware (an
    > > amazing product!!)
    > >
    > > The error mesage I get is this: C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system
    > > file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
    > > Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. Dialog box title is '16 bit
    > > Windows Subsystem'
    > >
    > > And the application won't run at all. The one I really want to run is an
    > > older version of Paradox - the first Windows version - designed for 3.1. I
    > > have one other game designed for 3.1 which also won't run, Riverboat
    > > Solitaire.
    > >
    > > I have gone thru all your steps and they do not have any effect. Do you have
    > > any suggestions? I don't think it's the Antispyware as I have that on another
    > > computer running XP SP1 and they run fine. Thanks!
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    This is the knowledge base article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    just reinstall the 3 files as directed and it works fine.
    Once I ran a search on autoexec.nt and 16 bit the correct results came up.
    good luck
    bettylou
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    The answer is here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    just reinstall the 3 files and you are set.
    good luck
    bettylou

    "Chris" wrote:

    > Bettylou,
    > Your problem is the same as my problem but I haven't figured it out! What
    > do I do?
    >
    > "Bettylou" wrote:
    >
    > > Nevermind I figured it out.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Thanks!

    Worked well!

    "Bettylou" wrote:

    > The answer is here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    > just reinstall the 3 files and you are set.
    > good luck
    > bettylou
    >
    > "Chris" wrote:
    >
    > > Bettylou,
    > > Your problem is the same as my problem but I haven't figured it out! What
    > > do I do?
    > >
    > > "Bettylou" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Nevermind I figured it out.

Gaming Games Windows XP