Column: Getting Older Games to Run on Windows XP

New Column: Gaming writer Joel Durham describes how to use the Program
Compatibility Wizard, search for user-created fixes, find product updates and
patches, and introduces a couple of tools that can help improve your gaming
experience.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/expert/durham_og.mspx

Ask questions or post comments about the article here.
Kathie Werner
Tech editor, vendor [MS]

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:B453B0B5-2F50-4BF4-847E-4BFF3ECEED5D@microsoft.com,
Kathie Werner <KathieWerner@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> New Column: Gaming writer Joel Durham describes how to use the Program
> Compatibility Wizard, search for user-created fixes, find product
> updates and patches, and introduces a couple of tools that can help
> improve your gaming experience.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/expert/durham_og.mspx
>
> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.
> rights.

It's well written. Bookmarked and scanned but not completely "read" if you
know what I mean. Thanks for the link.

Galen

I have sucessfully been able to run every ms-dos program I have ever owned -
lots of games -including transmitter/satellite receiver programs to work on
XP-Which is critical as broadcast transmitters will be around for 20-30 years
of life.

I have had one problem I can't fix..... In Duke Nukem 2, I can have it say
"he's back" during the intro by telling it that it is sound blaster and
restarting, or I can hear the guns shoot if set to PC speaker and
restart---Is there anyway to fool it into doing both? The pc sounds are not
handled by soundblaster when sound blaster is selected.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:B453B0B5-2F50-4BF4-847E-4BFF3ECEED5D@microsoft.com,
> Kathie Werner <KathieWerner@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > New Column: Gaming writer Joel Durham describes how to use the Program
> > Compatibility Wizard, search for user-created fixes, find product
> > updates and patches, and introduces a couple of tools that can help
> > improve your gaming experience.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/expert/durham_og.mspx
> >
> > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.
> > rights.
>
> It's well written. Bookmarked and scanned but not completely "read" if you
> know what I mean. Thanks for the link.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:57673769-BF97-4665-AABC-F0B62BEB34CC@microsoft.com,
Al Simpson <Al Simpson@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have sucessfully been able to run every ms-dos program I have ever
> owned - lots of games -including transmitter/satellite receiver
> programs to work on XP-Which is critical as broadcast transmitters
> will be around for 20-30 years of life.
>
> I have had one problem I can't fix..... In Duke Nukem 2, I can have
> it say "he's back" during the intro by telling it that it is sound
> blaster and restarting, or I can hear the guns shoot if set to PC
> speaker and restart---Is there anyway to fool it into doing both? The
> pc sounds are not handled by soundblaster when sound blaster is
> selected.

If the advice on the page didn't help with that one particular game you can
always take a peek here:

DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Galen

Thanks for you article - however I'm still having problems getting older
programs to run. Actually they were running just fine on XP SP2 until about 3
weeks ago. The only thing I've changed is installing MS Antispyware (an
amazing product!!)

The error mesage I get is this: C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system
file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. Dialog box title is '16 bit
Windows Subsystem'

And the application won't run at all. The one I really want to run is an
older version of Paradox - the first Windows version - designed for 3.1. I
have one other game designed for 3.1 which also won't run, Riverboat
Solitaire.

I have gone thru all your steps and they do not have any effect. Do you have
any suggestions? I don't think it's the Antispyware as I have that on another
computer running XP SP1 and they run fine. Thanks!

Nevermind I figured it out.

"Bettylou" wrote:

> Thanks for you article - however I'm still having problems getting older
> programs to run. Actually they were running just fine on XP SP2 until about 3
> weeks ago. The only thing I've changed is installing MS Antispyware (an
> amazing product!!)
>
> The error mesage I get is this: C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system
> file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
> Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. Dialog box title is '16 bit
> Windows Subsystem'
>
> And the application won't run at all. The one I really want to run is an
> older version of Paradox - the first Windows version - designed for 3.1. I
> have one other game designed for 3.1 which also won't run, Riverboat
> Solitaire.
>
> I have gone thru all your steps and they do not have any effect. Do you have
> any suggestions? I don't think it's the Antispyware as I have that on another
> computer running XP SP1 and they run fine. Thanks!

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Bettylou,
Your problem is the same as my problem but I haven't figured it out! What
do I do?

"Bettylou" wrote:

> Nevermind I figured it out.
>

> "Bettylou" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for you article - however I'm still having problems getting older
> > programs to run. Actually they were running just fine on XP SP2 until about 3
> > weeks ago. The only thing I've changed is installing MS Antispyware (an
> > amazing product!!)
> >
> > The error mesage I get is this: C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system
> > file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
> > Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. Dialog box title is '16 bit
> > Windows Subsystem'
> >
> > And the application won't run at all. The one I really want to run is an
> > older version of Paradox - the first Windows version - designed for 3.1. I
> > have one other game designed for 3.1 which also won't run, Riverboat
> > Solitaire.
> >
> > I have gone thru all your steps and they do not have any effect. Do you have
> > any suggestions? I don't think it's the Antispyware as I have that on another
> > computer running XP SP1 and they run fine. Thanks!

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Thanks!