Sign in with
Your question

Which motherboard to buy?

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2013 12:05:55 AM

I'm stuck between these 2 motherboards but the bad reviews are turning me off from purchasing any of them. Which one do you guys recommend? Based on life of board, components, good customer service. One that is less prone to fail. If you have any other suggestions you can add them.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

More about : motherboard buy

February 9, 2013 2:35:27 AM

I went with the Gigabyte board. I read some bad reviews about msi boards and i heard the new asus motherboards had pci problems and usb failure.
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2013 2:38:59 AM

every motherboard has its fair share of bad reviews. there aren't any that get consistently excellent reviews every time. it just doesn't happen. i can find you some horror stories about Gigabyte boards if you like. you have to go with ones that are *generally* good boards that have the features you want in your price range.
m
l
February 9, 2013 2:52:59 AM

Quote:
I have the ASRock Extreme 4 and it runs my 2 GTX 660s and 3570k @ 4.4Ghz just fine. Temperature monitoring software also shows the board isn't producing much heat either.

hey how do you like your gtx 660s in SLI? do you feel the 192 bit bandwidth holding them back at all? just curious :) 
m
l
February 9, 2013 5:44:42 AM

i'm guessing you don't like the gigabyte board augray? I saw that gigabyte had less negative feedback than asus and msi.
m
l
February 9, 2013 5:51:18 AM

technub said:
i'm guessing you don't like the gigabyte board augray? I saw that gigabyte had less negative feedback than asus and msi.

where did you hear that gigabyte was better than asus and msi?

and i have no preference, i base my hardware decisions on research i've done on the particular part, not generalizations about the brand.
m
l
February 9, 2013 5:53:06 AM

so you consider msi as the best motherboard brand? Why exactly do you have high regards for it?
m
l
February 9, 2013 6:04:54 AM

technub said:
so you consider msi as the best motherboard brand? Why exactly do you have high regards for it?

i never said that now did i? i *just* said i have no preference.

i suggested you look at it based on the findings of this article...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bri...

and the fact that this particular variant has a thunderbolt port while still in your price range.
m
l
February 9, 2013 10:20:40 AM

I would go with MSI Z77G45 or the ASRock you linked

Those are pretty much your only two options unless you are interested in something more than 2way crossfire/sli. MSI/ASRock are the only motherboards to buy in this price point as Asus can't compete. Of course we could mention gigabyte but <. I wouldn't get bothered by the reviews, both are high and people are dumb/picky/things happen. Out of the 50 reviewers there were 500 people who bought it, and simply didn't review it. So take it with a grain of salt when you have a 50+ 5 egg rating, as it is usually good to go regardless.
m
l
!