I cant install an OS

lettuce-face

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I'm built my first computer a couple days ago. I bought some new ram, a new motherboard, a case, and got all the other parts from another computer. I tried to install Unbuntu and at the end of the installation process it got stuck it a loop saying "rt2500usb_setdevice_state...rt2x00lib_autowakeup_ failed.." I left it on while I went to school. My mom turned off the computer while I was gone. I turned it on and got a Ubuntu screen that says boot Unbuntu, boot Unbuntu(recoverry mode), check memory, and system info(which just restarts the comp. If i try to boot Ubuntu it starts normally with a maroon screen and an ubuntu icon, but then the screen turns completly white with subtle yellow patches and a clear blue square for a cursor. I cant do anything from this screen. I tried to install LinuxMint Cinnamon but got the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected" I tried to use dban to erase everything from the hard drive and received the same 'reboot' message. If i use the ubuntu cd the comp ignores it and goes to the Ubuntu screen I mentioned before. I'm not sure what to do other than buying a new hard drive and Windows 8.

ASUS M5 A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard
Galaxy Nvdia GeForce GT 610
Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB

the following was taken from a HP pavilion p6310y
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad-Core
Green WD 1TB Hard Drive
a 300 watt power supply
and a light scribe dvd drive

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
#1 Hard drive is bad

#2 its possible that your power supply isn't sufficient and the CPU crashes once it starts using more processing power. (try removing the video card to make sure)

#3 if you downloaded the ISO for the disk (and have not tried it on a different machine) it is common for the download to have a "dead spot". Please download and make a new install media (I prefer using USB drives as they have a much higher burn rate, and transfer data faster)