First NAS build

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Hi
I have been planning for a while to buy a NAS box from newegg, until it hit me; I can build one! So here is what I came up with so far and would love to hear your input. If you think that doing some changes will improve performance, then I will appreciate your input! So here it is:
CPU: Intel Celeron G540
MOBO: ASUS P8H77-I
RAM: G.SKILL Value 16GB F3-1600C11D-16GNT
CASE: IN WIN BP655.300TB3L
OS Storage: Verbatim Store 'n' Stay 4GB USB
HDD: I will use one I currently have in my computer.

So, I have been looking and I found another Celeron that uses less power (55w vs 65w), with higher clock speed (2.6GHz vs 2.5GHz) and at the same price. It seems very wierd to me so I would like to know if any of you know anything about this model. It is the Celeron G1610

Also, if you think that spending an additional $100 for parts x, y and z or for part Q, will increase performance then let me know. Thanks!

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Thanks for the reply! I wanted to run FreeNas and from what I understand the storage it is installed on is completely taken over by the OS. That is why I was thinking about the USB. They also recommend a lot of RAM to run it. Do you think that the i3 will give me a faster access to the files on the NAS?

flank2

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
power consumption seems to be on your mind, if its just a NAS why not get something very low power like the amd fusion cpu, like maybe the e-350? The amd c-60's are a bit cheaper but only 1GHz... might wanna look at some reviews to see if anyone has used it for storage.

I've heard people using amd e-350/e-450 builds for NAS4Free without a hitch and will save you $$ from your current parts list.

amd e-350, only has 4 sata ports but has a pcie slot which leaves room for a hba upgrade if needed.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157247

if you do go this route, you should look into NAS4Free because of it's lighter hardware requirements.