Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help deciding on a prebuilt

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2013 2:31:03 AM

Looking to get a pre-built for no more than 500 dollars. I really just want a PC to play Counter Strike Global Offensive at constant above 60 FPS.

I've been looking at one on NewEgg and i'd like some input considering the hardware and price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know its always better to buy parts separately, then assemble. But i know nothing of assembly and cannot risk damaging parts. Just want to know if this PC is price gouging me too hard (i know all pre-builtds gouge).

Anyone have any better recommendations for prebuilds in my budget?

Thanks in advanced for any input.

More about : deciding prebuilt

February 9, 2013 5:56:32 AM

Well it depends on what quality your playing at. The 610 might be able to pull it off with everything all the way down but even then I don't think you would be getting 60 fps. However I could not find any reviews on the card or performance benchmarks. Except for here:

Video card benchmarks

It scores lower than my laptop GPU (Mobility Radeon HD 4650) which is on a chart that is higher than this one.

I think the built in GPU in AMD's APU lineup should be sufficient enough though.

ASUS Prebuilt PC

Try that one.
m
l
February 9, 2013 6:07:43 AM

indeed, the asus with the APU is the way to go.
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2013 8:53:13 AM

The GT 610 is really inferior to an integrated video card? I was thinking about replacing the video card with a nvidia 9800 GT i have lying around. I dont think that will be possible with just a 300w psu would it?
m
l

Best solution

February 9, 2013 6:42:55 PM

Well if you have a 9800 GT lying around that would be better than an integrated APU. The GT 610 is really entry level. In fact so entry level that a 9800 GT would easily outperform it. On the NVIDIA site it recommends at least a 400W psu. I even recommend a 400W+ as well. If your having problems deciding on a prebuilt PC maybe it is time to start learning how to put a computer together. You can even get a DIY kit (do it yourself) off of newegg for under 500 and then just add a graphics card into it. If you ever played with lego's when you were a little kid putting a computer together is easy enough. In fact Newegg has a video here that shows you exactly how to put a computer together:

Newegg's How to Build a Computer Part I

Newegg's How to Build a Computer Part II

Newegg's How to Build a Computer Part III

If you do decide to just start building them yourself those are great and more up to date tutorial videos to watch. If not and you wish to put your old 9800 GT in a prebuilt one this one is also good:

Avatar Gaming i3 3220 Prebuilt PC

Or you could put the 9800 GT in the first computer you suggested. The one with the FX 6100. I personally prefer an i3 for gaming because AMD's early bulldozer lineup is kinda flawed. Also, that i3 is on Toms Hardware's January 2013 best gaming CPU for the money lineup.
February 10, 2013 4:00:35 AM

Best answer selected by GottaStrike.
m
l
February 10, 2013 4:03:37 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Especially you, iemidget, I think i'll be going with the i3 3220 build and add my 9800. Now i know my 9800 is compatible.

Do you think with that i3 build with 9800 i'll be able to run Counter Strike: Global Offensive at 60 fps constant or above? My goal is to be able to run Valve's games at a good FPS on medium at least.

Edit: Also, what is the difference between a dual core running at 3.3 GHZ and a Quad core running at 3.2 GHZ. Does this mean the dual core will be outperforming the quad? Do i need a quad core? I heard it helps run games like Battlefield 3 better.
m
l
February 11, 2013 1:57:03 AM

It depends. Battlefield has an engine that CAN utilize 4 or more cores. But there are plenty of 2 core gaming processors out there that can handle most games. The i3 is a 2 core hyperthreaded so it is recognized as a quad core in your system.

Here is what i'm talking about when I say that plenty of two core processors can handle games. It was tom's hardware's sub $200 gaming cpu comparison. The pentium G860 was outperforming the 8 core 8150 in most instances:

Sub $200 Gaming CPU Comparison
m
l
!