Is it normal for my gpu to be at 99% and 30 fps in dayz?

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

In a word.... Yes! My brother has an i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz and a GTX 690 and he only get 60fps in DayZ on V-high settings! The game is a mod so it's not very well optimised as it's poorly coded.
Your signature says you're running an FX-8120 is that the machine you're playing DayZ on?? If it is that could be a big factor, DayZ is only optimised to use 4 cores and an FX series ain't the best for gaming anyway.
My advice is to do the same as my bro, drop object detail to normal, HDR to normal and turn off post processing. Or jst hang in there and wait for the standalone, that will be much much better, you should be able to get 60+fps on high/v-high on the standalone.

Kari

Splendid

umm yeah but if he is already fully utilising the gpu then the cpu isn't holding him back at those settings...

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well there. What I meant was he has a GTX 690 but can only hit 60fps in DayZ because of his i7. He bought the 690 about 4 weeks ago and he gets the exact same fps with his old 680, so the 3770k even @4.5Ghz is holding it back due to DayZ being so CPU demanding.
That's what I meant about your FX series, in my opinion and experience playing DayZ and my brother testing DayZ on a few different GPU's, I would say it's your CPU that is holding it back, I would drop the setting until I hit 45/50fps then stick with that until the standalone comes out.

Kari

Splendid

umm no? He is already maxing out the gpu at those settings anyways... Sure if he dropped all the eyecandy completely which could result in much higher fps then the cpu _might_ become the limiting factor, but as it is now, nope...
and does the game actually support sli anyways? if the second gpu on the 690 is unused it would result in the exact same performance as 680...

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

No no no, he doesn't have a 680 and 690 in SLI, he had a 680 and set everything to ultra/max and he got around 60fps. He then bought a 690, removed the 680 and put the 690 in, and the results are no increase in fps with the 690 over the 680. So it means his i7 is at 100% load and therefore the game is at the maximum fps it can achieve with that CPU, whether he uses his old 680 or the new 690 the i7 is maxed out and the different GPU's don't make any difference, the 690 is not at 100% (I'm not sure what load his 690 is under but I know it's not 100%).

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Don't forget that some games are optimized for ATI and some Nvdia. Each has their own settings which they are coded for. For example ATI HBAO and Nvidia HDAO. Switch them and you'll see frame drops. Or Physx, enable that on ATI and sure your GPU will be high and fps low, but that's because you choose the wrong settings.

Not saying anyone's wrong, just that it's not so cut and dry.

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Sorry I think I misread your reply about SLI, (running round like a headless chicken trying to get Xmas dinner ready), did you mean SLI in the way of the 680 and 690 in the same system or did you just mean the dual GPU in the 690???
Either way I'm 99.999999% sure SLI does work in DayZ, unless something change in the last month.

burbee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I say: The game aint optimised. You got a great system :p

And like abbadon said, some settings are + for ATI and some + for nVidia and the other way around.

Just wait for a bette version of the game..

Kari

Splendid

I meant sli in general, and since 690 has two gpus onboard it runs just like a 2 card sli system would in terms of sli compatibility.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
wow i am very impressed guys really thank you all very much i kinda had a huge dinner yesterday and went to sleep at 9 :p so i was unable to reply until now though i really do appreciate you guys helping me out like this! :D

ok so this goes for all of your posts

euphoria4949
-THank you and i see what you mean, I am getting an i5-3570k becuase i get terrible performance in crysis 2 and i mean like 20-50 its all over the place when it hsould not be, and in bf3 im getting like 30-50 when i should be getting 50-70 at least thats what i heard... as for dayz could it be the server i am on?

AMD Radeon
-OK i will see next time i play i will lower the msaa considering that i have it maxed out

Kari
-The strange thing is it could be but im not sure... all i know is that even though my gpu is overclocked to the max and my 8120 is at 4.7 im not sure what is going on becuase i know for a fact that 670 could run bf3 nearly flawlessly and could run crysis 2 better and more stable than my hd 6850

BigMack
-yes they are I can try again but i tried this after getting my 670 i was getting performance that was less than others with the 670 and that just was very dissapointing, though after overlocking it and having to reinstall the drivers i have reinstalled the drivers about 3 times and not done a complete uninstall of them but i am pretty sure the AMD drivres are completely gone

Burbee
-Yes it a poorly optimised/coded mod on top of a trainreck of a coded game so yeah it is definetely poorly optimized but would that push my gtx 670 to the 99 mark?

overall thank you all for replying and posting your own thoughts and sorry for it taking me so long to reply but i hope this message makes up for it :p and merry christmas! :D