Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any over(under)kill components, before I spend another $1000

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 9, 2013 8:19:36 AM

Please,

leave any comments about choice of components in my preffered build.

Especially about compatibility and balance of the system.

Component Selection
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $214.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $34.99
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $174.99
Memory Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $49.99
Storage Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $166.99
Video Card XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card $234.99
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99
Power Supply Rosewill Fortress 550W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $99.99
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer $15.98

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CnDd

Thanks!
a c 106 B Homebuilt system
February 9, 2013 8:24:34 AM

Without knowing what its used for I cant say if anything is over/underkill, but from the looks of it its a gaming rig.

Motherboard can be cheaper, something like an AsRock Z77 Extreme4 or Gigabyte GAZ77X-D3H would be a better option.

Would downgrade the SSD to 128GB, then used the cash for a 1TB drive. 256GB wont last long.

Would spend the extra $15 to get a card with better cooling.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Equivalent PSU from a better brand, cheaper as well.
XFX Core 550W, 80+ Bronze. $75 ($10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 9, 2013 9:03:47 AM

manofchalk said:
Without knowing what its used for I cant say if anything is over/underkill, but from the looks of it its a gaming rig.

Motherboard can be cheaper, something like an AsRock Z77 Extreme4 or Gigabyte GAZ77X-D3H would be a better option.

Would downgrade the SSD to 128GB, then used the cash for a 1TB drive. 256GB wont last long.

Would spend the extra $15 to get a card with better cooling.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Equivalent PSU from a better brand, cheaper as well.
XFX Core 550W, 80+ Bronze. $75 ($10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I choose
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 $174.99
because it has Thunderbolt, do you thnik it is not worth it yet for the next couple of years?
February 9, 2013 9:09:54 AM

Not a balanced build. Your 7870 will bring you nothing but grief over the next few years as games leave it behind.
a c 106 B Homebuilt system
February 9, 2013 9:11:44 AM

^ I was just playing FC3 with near maxed out settings at 1080p on a similar setup, the 7870 will perform just fine.

Cant say for certain, but for desktop application I dont think so.
So far the only usage of it is storage and external graphics cards, both of which are only really a concern when applied to something like a laptop.

I dont think Thunderbolt will have any real use on a desktop platform, but who knows what the technology will be adapted for.
February 9, 2013 9:23:54 AM

babernet_1 said:
Not a balanced build. Your 7870 will bring you nothing but grief over the next few years as games leave it behind.


Would you please give me agrumented answer and better pick. Thanks!
February 9, 2013 9:32:53 AM

Everything balanced except the HDD was missing

250GB SSD might not be sufficient and hence buy a 1TB Seagate baracuda HDD
February 9, 2013 10:25:56 AM

sanilmahambre said:
Everything balanced except the HDD was missing

250GB SSD might not be sufficient and hence buy a 1TB Seagate baracuda HDD



That too depends on your usage. If it is just for gaming and you don't download/archive lots of media, the 250 Should be fine. although I'd consider the 840 pro 128 GB and a 1tb HDD if I were going to add an HDD.
February 9, 2013 3:52:50 PM

zverinica said:
Would you please give me agrumented answer and better pick. Thanks!

"Agrumented"

The SSD is simply a luxury, faster boot times and faster loading of games. You need to top quality GPU for that is your first priority. Skip the SSD, get a 1TB HDD, and spend the savings on a better graphics card. Use this as a reference:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

!