First build, cable management okay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Just finished my first build, wondering if my cable management is acceptable?? Here's a couple of pics..

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

Solution
To display images, you can use this format which will directly display the image rather than having to follow the link.

Its functional, but not overly visually pleasing. If you havent got a side panel windows then that doesnt matter though :D.
- See if you can get that cable (USB3?) running in front of the graphics card taped to the roof of the case then down and through the grommet. Use something like black duct tape and it will be pretty invisible.
- Use that duct tape to cover up the yellow wires on the PCI-Express cables.
- Tuck the AC'97 audio connector behind the PSU if you can, under that bottom PCI slot if you cant.
- Whats that cable running across the RAM?
- Get the CPU fan cable tight with as much...
To display images, you can use this format which will directly display the image rather than having to follow the link.

Its functional, but not overly visually pleasing. If you havent got a side panel windows then that doesnt matter though :D.
- See if you can get that cable (USB3?) running in front of the graphics card taped to the roof of the case then down and through the grommet. Use something like black duct tape and it will be pretty invisible.
- Use that duct tape to cover up the yellow wires on the PCI-Express cables.
- Tuck the AC'97 audio connector behind the PSU if you can, under that bottom PCI slot if you cant.
- Whats that cable running across the RAM?
- Get the CPU fan cable tight with as much as possible hidden under the heatsink.
- unplug all the USB/front IO/Audio cables and run them so they don't twine through the power cables. Looks a bit haphazard.

If you want some more tips, drop into the system gallery at the top of the Systems forum. The resident Cable Management Guru (Motopsychojdn) is known to reside there.

Solution

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

Going to do the usb cable to the roof right now! thanks. I think the cord your talking about isn't actually on the ram, its well in front, that is the fan controller for the cpu heatsink? Going to tuck that audio cord behind the psu aswell, thanks again lol. will update once i have the connectors all running behind the motherboard, before i do that, do i just slide them behind the motherbord cutout so they drop down? is that safe?

I can see the CPU fan cable, but there is another in front of the RAM more to the bottom right of it.
Cant tell what it is, it ends in what almost looks like a SATA connector.

Its not recommended to run cables in between the mobo and mobo tray, the spiky bits on the back of the mobo can gradually wear through cables to bare metal, then promptly short out on them.

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

Well i wont be doing that then lol. And the USB 3.0 cord is JUST short of reaching with it being taped to the roof. I have tried every way possible, saw linus on youtube tape it straight down the guts of the motherboard lol, but i wont be doing that. So i guess im pretty much stuck with the way i have everything atm. It's not great, but it should be ok yeah?

EDIT: and yeah, that black cable is a speed controller thing for the spinq vt heatsink/ fan, looks like its dangling on the bottom right of the ram in the pic.

Linus is a god of cable management, no idea how he did it so neat on the cable management video. Even the back of the case was neat.

As I said before, functionally its fine. The cables don't obstruct airflow and are mostly out of the way. Its just aesthetics from this point on.

Also if I am not mistaken, thats an AsRock Z77 Extreme4/3?
Why are you running the USB3 cable outside the case to connect with the back I/O, there should be a USB3 header on the motherboard somewhere.

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Yeah, there is but the corsair 600t needs a converter or something, going to look into it, just forgot about it when i was grabbing everything, you dont know what the converter is called by chance? lol , you have been a wealth of knowledge and answered every single other question i have lol, BTW what's the meaning of life? haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.