Keyboards

Brechin

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Ok, I'm a PC Gamer.

I have bought NUMEROUS keyboards from walmart and best buy.

None of which are good for gaming.

The problem I encounter frequently is when in game I use the W, A, S, D keys to move but, when I'm moving forward and to the side (W, A or D) and I press another button like (1, or 2, or even spacebar) my character stops moving. Its like the keyboards are limited to how many keys you can press at one time.

So my questions are. What is this function in keyboards called?

What keyboards should I get that doesn't have this feature?

Anyone know of a office keyboard that does not have this feature as the gaming keyboards are extremely pricey for a keyboard.

What you have described is called the N-Key rollover, it quite literally means how many keys the board can register at one time. Higher end keyboards usually can have 5-6 simultaneous keys being pressed before it cant register anymore.

Whats your budget for a keyboard? Decent keyboards can be had for $30, while high end mechanical keyboards can $100+.
Any particular wants on it, backlighting, macro keys, mechanical?

Brechin

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Well I think the feature is called keyblocking. However you could be correct. I'm no genius.

At most 50.00. I don't need anything special. Plain jane is fine with me. I don't need a backlight or media buttons.

Because office keyboards are always very cheap (low end, horrible boards) or very expensive (mechanical, often also targeted toward gamers), there is no real middleground.

The backlighting can be turned off on both keyboards I recommended.

Brechin

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I had one not long ago that worked just fine and it wasn't mechanical. It was a 20.00 Logitech media board from walmart. I don't know what model it was or I would get another lol

Hehe, and I bought a $150 keyboard just the other day. Hasn't arrived yet, but soon.

Buy a nice keyboard, cheap keyboards are cheap for a reason.
And its not like a keyboard is your primary method of input to a device that chances are you spend 10+ hours a week on :whistle:.

Also you wont find any mechanical keyboards until you get to ~$100, think the cheapest is the Coolermaster Quickfire which is around $85.

Brechin

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
You know what upsets me? Is they figured it out. People are playing computer games more hardcore than ever so they invented the act of ghosting. 7 years I had that keyboard and never had that problem. They are trying to force us to pay 50$ for a keyboard worth a crap... Thats so upsetting!

The first widely available keyboard was the IBM Model-M, included with most IBM systems at the time, which was actually fairly expensive.
1389260.jpg

However as computers became less of a niche thing and more widely available, they lowered in price, it made less sense to include a $100 keyboard on ever cheapening computers, hence the invention of the membrane keyboard, which chances are you are using right now.

Keyboards have gotten cheaper over time, not more expensive.
Plus, older keyboards used the PS/2 interface, with a theoretically infinite N-Key Rollover limit. However USB has become the popular interface and PS/2 is starting to become phased out, unfortunately it has an N-Key limit of 6.

But ultimately, you get what you pay for. That's why I'm willing to buy a $150 keyboard, cause I know the thing will be amazing.

camohanna

Distinguished