Sign in with
Your question

PC Wont Start With 12v Pin & CPU

Last response: in Systems
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2013 10:53:49 AM

Alright so this is a really crap PC that I've had for a while. It's only a spare one which I use for diagnostics , I've just bought a new socket 775 Intel Pentium processor , it's used but in working condition. For some reason when the CPU is fitted in and I put the 4pin 12V into the motherboard the system starts then dies. But if I run the system without the 12V then it works fine , and if I put the 12V in and no CPU then it works fine. So not sure what's wrong? I tried the original power supply that came with this board and it gives the same problems, any solutions?

More about : wont start 12v pin cpu

February 9, 2013 11:32:07 AM

the only problem i could think of is that the cpu is somehow overvolted and getting to hot is your cooler working correctly ecetra
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2013 11:38:17 AM

Hmmm I've cleared the CMOS by removing the battery and re-seated everything and still no solution. The cooler should be working as even when I first started the cpu etc it died.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2013 1:00:38 PM

i guess you may want to start looking at the motherboard . . .
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2013 1:05:16 PM

Hmmm...thanks
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2013 2:56:22 PM

i thought you might have bought a new cpu because the old one had problems(?)

though if the difference is when you plug in the ATX12V i would first look for any possible bulging capacitor on the board or brown are around the VRMs while looking at the PCB from underneath.
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2013 3:01:58 PM

Anonymous said:
i thought you might have bought a new cpu because the old one had problems(?)

though if the difference is when you plug in the ATX12V i would first look for any possible bulging capacitor on the board or brown are around the VRMs while looking at the PCB from underneath.

I sold my previous CPU to a friend & bought this CPU just cause the board was lying around. And yeah will do
thanks
!