PC Wont Start With 12v Pin & CPU

Alright so this is a really crap PC that I've had for a while. It's only a spare one which I use for diagnostics , I've just bought a new socket 775 Intel Pentium processor , it's used but in working condition. For some reason when the CPU is fitted in and I put the 4pin 12V into the motherboard the system starts then dies. But if I run the system without the 12V then it works fine , and if I put the 12V in and no CPU then it works fine. So not sure what's wrong? I tried the original power supply that came with this board and it gives the same problems, any solutions?
6 answers Last reply
More about wont start
  1. the only problem i could think of is that the cpu is somehow overvolted and getting to hot is your cooler working correctly ecetra
  2. Hmmm I've cleared the CMOS by removing the battery and re-seated everything and still no solution. The cooler should be working as even when I first started the cpu etc it died.
  3. i guess you may want to start looking at the motherboard . . .
  4. Hmmm...thanks
  5. i thought you might have bought a new cpu because the old one had problems(?)

though if the difference is when you plug in the ATX12V i would first look for any possible bulging capacitor on the board or brown are around the VRMs while looking at the PCB from underneath.
  6. Anonymous said:
    i thought you might have bought a new cpu because the old one had problems(?)

though if the difference is when you plug in the ATX12V i would first look for any possible bulging capacitor on the board or brown are around the VRMs while looking at the PCB from underneath.

I sold my previous CPU to a friend & bought this CPU just cause the board was lying around. And yeah will do
    thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt CPUs Systems