Sign in with
Your question

PCI-e Slots?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 25, 2012 9:01:27 AM

Right, it's Christmas and what I got for it as a main present is a lovely Asus GTX 660TI, but it turns out it needs 2x PCI-e 6 slots in order to power it, and my power supply which by research looks as if it only has 1 PCI-e 6 slot. What would you recommend me to do, just go and buy a brand new PSU? The thing that's putting me off is the fact that I have no clue how to install a PSU and it's kinda scary.. but yeah thoughts please?

More about : pci slots

December 25, 2012 9:52:55 AM

Really stumped on what to do, and what PSU to actually buy.. if there's compatibility issues etc..
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 9:58:07 AM

usually cards come with a 4pin molex to 6pin pcie power adapters, so you could use one of those and the one native pcie plug to power the card.
You should have something like 400-500W psu to safely run it thou, so whats your psu's make and model? There should be a sticker on the side of the psu that lists the power output of the unit, especially important is the info on the 12V rail(s) and their combined output wattage (or amperage). Take a look on it and report back.
Nice present btw :) 
Related resources
December 25, 2012 10:02:03 AM

The make/model is Coolermaster rs-500-pcap-i3, I've searched online for it but it looks discontinued or something.
December 25, 2012 10:04:11 AM

It's a 500W PSU too.
December 25, 2012 10:12:47 AM

Oh hold on I just googled the 4pin molex, My card hard one of them inside of the case.. would that mean this could actually work? I'll research my PSU further to see if it has these 4pin molex slots for it to plug in. :) 
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 10:14:14 AM

most of the google results are eastern european, polish russian etc...
anyways looks like it has 360W combined on the 12V rails:
http://www.angela.pl/p8250,coolermaster-rs-500-pcap-i3....

So you are good to go, the card only uses around 140W ( http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Club_3D/HD_7870_joke... ) so there'll be plenty of power left for the rest of the system. Just find a power adapter somewhere..
and as i said it is usually bundled in with the card, typicall bundle looks like this:
December 25, 2012 10:16:05 AM

The only problem now is my power supply, it looks like it's enclosed and i'm not sure how to open it in order to plug the two 4 pin molex..
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 10:17:04 AM

jooshie said:
Oh hold on I just googled the 4pin molex, My card hard one of them inside of the case.. would that mean this could actually work? I'll research my PSU further to see if it has these 4pin molex slots for it to plug in. :) 

yep, and there should be plenty of molexs on the psu.
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 10:20:53 AM

jooshie said:
The only problem now is my power supply, it looks like it's enclosed and i'm not sure how to open it in order to plug the two 4 pin molex..

there should not be any need to actually open the psu itself, those power cords should be just dangling inside the pc case somewhere, tucked in behind stuff or something...
December 25, 2012 10:25:40 AM

Kari said:
there should not be any need to actually open the psu itself, those power cords should be just dangling inside the pc case somewhere, tugged in behind stuff or something...

I feel like an idiot right now, I've seen these things hanging around tucked away but I thought they were useless. >_<
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 10:32:44 AM

heh, well they dont get used much in modern computers anymore, all drives being sata and fans coming with funky connectors.
!