Sapphire HD 7850 OC Crashing

JonnyAFKay

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hey guys!

First off, I bought and built myself this complete brand new build last week, here are the specs (everything is as it was out of the box):

Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LP Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) Memory
XFX PRO550W Core Edition Power Supply
Sapphire HD 7850 OC Sapphire Card

OS runs off a SSD, games and programs run off a new Hard Drive

Ok, so the problem is when I try to run any game (BF3, Planetside 2) I get the exact same crash, can be anytime between 5-30 minutes into playing. The screen goes blank (sometimes says "Cable Not Connected" on screen) and the sound loops. The PC can only be hard reboot. I found a video on youtube that is exactly what happens: http://youtu.be/g8erBOaOBck

Now I've been searching for solutions and it seems to be fairly common with the Sapphire HD 7XXX cards no-one can seem to figure out what's causing it. I was hoping anyone here might have anything I can try before returning it?

I'm a bit skeptical about returning it and getting an exact same model again because I've read this happening to people and them getting the same problems...

The steps I've already tried:
- Removing and installing brand new beta drivers (Catalyst 12.11), crash still occurs
- Running CPU and memory stress tests (all passed fine)
- Running benchmark tests with Furmark (the crash happens sometimes in the 15 minute test, although temperatures never seem to exceed 70C)
One time right after running a successful 15 minute benchmark test, i went to watch a youtube video and a different crash happened where the screen went blank with grey lines down it.

JonnyAFKay

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
hmm, I feared as much. Will be returning it, and getting an Asus version of the same card. Here's hoping that solves it. I'll make sure to write back if that sorts it out.

Denton45

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
I've been having the same problem as well unfortunately. My specs are:

AMD FX-6100 3.6GHz Six Core CPU (Overclocked from 3.3GHz)
MSI 760GM-p21 fx motherboard
16GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
120GB OCZ Solid 3 SSD (OS boot drive)
1TB SATA II 7200RPM HDD
Sapphire HD 7850 2GB
XFX PRO550W Core Edition PSU

I've done all the usual tests like memory diagnostic and all that and there were no problems. My computer's temperature goes from 27°C up to 33°C when playing games so it shouldn't be too hot. I didn't realise it was factory overclocked so I just underclocked it now and just installed the 12.11 beta drivers. Hopefully it should be better but I'm not holding my breath. I'll report back the details.

Denton45

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Update 1: I played Skyrim for about 15 minutes and Planetside 2 for about an hour and 15 minutes, both on max settings at 1080p and it didn't crash! I think that's the longest I've managed to continuously play games without it crashing so it's definitely progress. I set the core clock to 859 MHz, the memory clock to 1248 MHz and turned up the fan speed to 66. The GPU temperature was pretty much a solid 45°C for the majority of the session with a maximum temperature of 52°C.

JonnyAFKay

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Ok, i returned the card and got my new ASUS HD 7850.

Long story short, everything now works. Tested multiple games out for hours and had no issues. Let this be a warning to everyone, do NOT buy the Sapphire HD 7850 Overclocked version.

TRENDING THREADS