bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hey gang

I received a brand new 7850 2GB for Christmas but I'm having some trouble with it. I ran a benchmark on my old card so I could compare and this is what I have come up with:

Sleeping Dogs

5770 1GB:

Min 33
Avg 53
Max 92

7850 2GB

Min 22
Avg 46
Max 91

Most settings on medium/high

My current setup is:

CPU - AMD 630 @ 2.8GHz x4
Ram - 2x2GB DDR2
PSU - Corsair VX550w
Monitor - 1680x1050 LGW2242S

I was aware when buying the card there would be a bottleneck but I assumed the bottleneck would at least cause my current FPS to be higher than the 5770, any ideas on how to fix this?

Did you update your drivers? You may need the newest driver to get the 7850 running properly. http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx This is AMDs latest driver. It's a beta, but it's been rock stable for most people including myself.

What operating system are you using? I assumed you were using win vista/win7/win8. If not, then here is the latest driver for XP http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_xp-32.aspx

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

According to CCC I am using 12.10 which is the latest driver apart from the Beta ones, and I am using Windows 7 64 Bit. I'll give the beta driver a go and report back.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hi, I tried the new drivers and they gave me performance increase of 3-4fps in all areas, still below the 5770 in every field though. I have been looking on Youtube of various benchmarks (GTA IV, Sleeping Dogs) and people who are running on higher resolution monitors are getting much better FPS than my monitor at 1680x1050, in some extreme cases double my FPS. I did expect some degree of bottleneck when I purchased the card but for it to perform less than a 5770 1GB is a real shock.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I won't lie, I can't remember for the Sleeping Dogs original benchmark. But for the Youtube ones I mirror the exact settings of the user. I have heard that a good way of determining how severe a bottleneck is to run the Heaven Benchmark and post the results. Do you think this could be helpful?

What CPU was that user using, and what clock speed? This is all relevant info because you cant expect to get the same unless everything matches up. CPU type and clockspeed, RAM type and timings, and also the clockspeed of the GPU would have to be the exact same as yours to gauge performance correctly.

You can run the heaven benchmark to get your score with the HD7850 and then look at reviews for the HD7850 to see what they got at the same settings with a better/newer/higher clocked CPU. Most review sites have test systems that are designed as best as possible to not have any bottlenecks, so that could show you the difference. Honestly this will only show you how the heaven benchmark reacts to a different CPU with the same GPU though. Each game is different. Some you will not experiance a bottleneck at all, and others you may be held back greatly. It all depends on each individual game/benchmark.

I know that even with my chip at 4.0ghz on all 6 cores, i'm being held back. If I had a newer i5/i7 I would have about 15-20% more perormance in most titles. That will be my next upgrade once I have a buyer for my current cpu-mobo.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I ran the GTA IV Benchmark to hopefully shed some light on how hard my components are working.

First up is GTA IV with all settings on low:

Average FPS: 60
CPU Usage: 64%
System Memory Usage: 62%
Video Memory Usage: 31

Now for everything as high as possible:

Average FPS: 43
CPU Usage: 69%
System Memory Usage: 67%
Video Memory Usage: 34%