Sign in with
Your question

Build opinion

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2013 1:48:32 PM

Hello Tom and Team, I'm close to building a new gaming system w/ a budget of 2k (give/take). My current system is a gateway fx 6800-01e (upgraded to: win7 64, hd 5770, 6g ram, 1tb wd black). It's been a great gaming box, not one issue... ever. I play BL 2, all Blizzard games, planet-side 2, swtor, etc. Once i have the new system built I'll pass this one down the computer desk to my son.

I've been reviewing components for sometime now, so below is the makeup of parts. Please let me know your thoughts one way or the other. btw, I had to stop reading the one and two eggs on newegg as they were starting to freak me out ;)  if I continued reading one eggs I would just end up keeping my gateway.

case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (professional look but yet a view window to view components and led fans)
power supply: Corsair Professional Series AX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold
motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB (or ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011, or??)
cpu: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
cpu cooler: (having a hard time here, CORSAIR h100, h100i? wait for the Swiftech H220? Scythe Ninja 3?)
memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
video: Galaxy 67NPH6DV6KXZ GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB (upgrade to sli once everyone tells me its slow <g>)
os ssd: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III
data hdd: WD VelociRaptor WD5000HHTZ 500GB x2 -RAID 0-
fans: i want to replace all the stock fans with a good quality low noise LED fans.

Notes:

The 650d is a mid-tower but it does seem quite large. hope components above fit ok. doing my homework first, but..
I will be picky when it comes to cable management, not that I'm good at it. I'll need to do my homework and view youtube best practice guides.
lastly I'm looking for seasoned build experts to list any 'got ya's' and 'don't forgets'. ie. cpu thermal paste, cable tools supply's, extra wiring, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts.

More about : build opinion

!