Sign in with
Your question

What is wrong with this thing?

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2013 2:02:52 PM

First off I just want to say, I plan on buying a computer sometime this week and already have a thread for it, but...

I have this computer that I bought from ibuypower about 5-6 years ago, that just isn't acting right. To be honesty it hasn't acted right since about 4 months after I bought it. I feel like I have put nothing but money into it....even though I know logically its really not that much considering how long I have had it...just frustrating I guess. Anyway the last time something went wrong with it I had no clue what it was so I took it to a local repair shop. They told me that it was my hard drive, though I wasn't sure about that, they replaced the hard drive and when I got it home it worked for all of three days! I ran MEMtest on it and found a faulty ram stick. I took the ram stick out and the computer worked fine for about 4 months. I never replaced the ram because I was really low on funds. Now here is the problem I am having when I turn it on it takes at least 5 mins to boot. Then it takes anouther 10 mins before I can access the internet. I do not crash while using the internet or word but as soon as I try to play a game it will either freeze or do a memory dump. It doesn't matter what kind of game, it's done it to WoW, Sims 3 and even crappy like puzzle games. What could I do to figure this out?

Heres some info. If you need more I will gladly get it, just please tell me how. :) 

AMD athlon 7550 Dual-core 2.5GHz
2048MG Ram
Nvidia Gforce 550 ti
Windows 7 32-bit

More about : wrong thing

February 9, 2013 2:49:46 PM

virus' and malware. boot up in safe mode and do scans.

check the firewall and see what's running.

turn off all auto update stuff/drivers/windows/any apps you have.

go to start/type msconfig in the box, hit enter. see what's running under services and start-up. deselect unneeded things.

(under services check box at bottom to eliminate microsoft stuff)
m
l
February 9, 2013 3:38:46 PM

swifty_morgan said:

go to start/type msconfig in the box, hit enter. see what's running under services and start-up. deselect unneeded things.

I cant even get it to start up in safe mode. Everytime I press f8 it brings me to a black screen with a big blue box that says....

Please select boot device :

1st floppy drive
cdrom: pm-hl-dt-stdvd-ram gh22np
Sata: 3m-wdc wd1oeadx-22tdhbo
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2013 4:06:05 PM

you need to go into the BIOS and set up boot priority. if you don't have a floppy you can say "disable" or "none" for your 3rd boot device. set up would be hard drive first, dvd or cd drive second.

if you don't know what you are doing, when you see that screen again, select the Hard Drive.

the idiots that you took the machine to at whatever shop that was are morons and just want your money vs seeing you actually have a machine that works. tons of those people out there.
m
l
February 9, 2013 4:24:48 PM

Ok I went into the bios and disabled the floppy. They were already in the order you started that they should be. Restarted, pressed f8, and selected the hard drive and it booted up my computer as normal but its not in safe mode. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for continuing to help. I really appreciate it!

Yeah they are idiots. Hence the reason for trying to figure this out myself.
m
l
February 9, 2013 4:28:50 PM

start computer/tap F8 as it boots. you should come to a screen that asks how you want to boot. one of them will be "boot with networking" or something like that. choose it, machine will continue.

if the boot order is set up you should not have to select the hard drive. it should work as described above.

when you disabled the floppy, did you hit F10 and then enter to save? ... and then the machine tried to rebooted?
m
l
February 9, 2013 5:29:36 PM

I did hit f10 and save it. Just to be sure I did it a second time. I'm still got the same screen once I saved. It restarted after the save, pressed f8 during start up and instead of the screen that it should be with the option to start in safe mode I get the screen I mentioned above still. Should I force the computer to improperly shut down to get this screen? Although I don't understand why I cant get this screen during startup.
m
l
February 9, 2013 5:36:38 PM

Ok it crashed so I finally got a safe mode option. Running scans now...
to be clear I'm scanning with my security software, correct?
m
l
February 9, 2013 5:59:06 PM

anti virus software.

malwarebytes.

super anti spyware.

norton/avg/microsoft security essentials/

trend micro house calls( this one is an on line scan.)

whatever. do one scan. do more scans. use everything you can to kill whatever it is you might have.
m
l
February 9, 2013 10:35:11 PM

swifty_morgan said:

Ok I finally made it through all of this. Scanned with Microsoft Security Essentials, malwarebytes, trend micro house calls and super antispyware. Super anti spyware found a tracking cookie. I removed it and continued with the rest of your directions and rebooted, unfortunately it's still doing the same thing. It's like I didn't do anything at all.
m
l
February 10, 2013 11:14:54 AM

What else can I do to figure out what is wrong?
m
l
February 10, 2013 11:54:23 PM

Asus m3a78-em
m
l
February 11, 2013 9:30:44 PM

do you have the hybrid crossfire disabled????

and or the on board video disabled or pointing the the pci-e slot/PEG/or set to auto?
m
l
February 12, 2013 9:39:01 AM

I'm not sure. That is beyond my knowledge.
How do I check them?
m
l
February 13, 2013 8:08:29 PM

????
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:30:13 PM

Ok I don't know about the crossfire or inboard graphics. But the computer worked before and I never messed with either of these so I don't know how they would be turned on?
m
l
!