I need to know a few things before I purchase these components. I am willing to swap components out if you can find better (cheaper) alternatives.
1. Will the Noctua not obstruct Thor's top case fan? (would be a big issue)
2. Will the Noctua not interfere with the case's airflow badly? (I prefer full cases for that reason)
3. Will the Noctua be able to fit comfortably on the motherboard (fans orientated to exhaust heat out of the case's rear exhaust) and not obstruct the rear case fan?
4. Would you recommend anything else besides the Noctua? (I will be overclocking)
5. I may purchase a second GPU, will 650W be sufficient?
6. Would you recommend any other case?
7. Will I need any additional cables? (will be getting a Y-splitter for the heatsink)
8. I am concerned with the number of fan headers on the motherboard, should I plug some fans directly into the PSU or invest in a fan controller?
9. Is there anything essential that I'm missing or need to be made aware of?
10. Should I buy Arctic Silver thermal compound for the Noctua or just use their brand?
It should be known that this will be my first time building a Gaming rig, but I'm confident in my abilities to put everything together. I'm not confident, however, in my abilities to pick out components and to make sure I will have everything that I'll require to build this monster.
I'm building this PC because I recently bought Far Cry 3 only to find out I could barely run it on low.
My budget is somewhere between $1200-$1350 USD. The less money I have to spend the better, so if you can cut the cost of some components I will be grateful.
(Already have other components for the system. e.g. mouse, keyboard, etc)
Monitor Res: 1920x1080
More about :build preliminary gaming rig components advice appreciated
. 1. Should be good
2. Its a big ugly brown mountain it your case, expect it to obstuct air flow
But at least its close to same level as rear exhaust fan.
3. Too many questions about same thing.
Yes noctua is great for overclocking, but its ugly, if you wish u can look into h100I
5. No get 850psu
6. I just get ones I like the look of
7 I don't think so
8.not sure, but I would try plug to psu
9.get an ssd
10.use their brand
-way better case in my opinion than the thor in terms of construction, silence, and the ultra sweet price
-the noctua heatsinks run cool. thats about as much as you need to know. mine has my CPu at 50C at 4.4ghz
-the thor is a huge ass case. of course it will fit. the fractal will be just as good
-650w is not exactly enough for dual video cards, 750w is. but if you want that option, get this psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
-fractal is much better in my opinion
-y splitter should be included
-board has enough connectors
-silver 5 runs hotter than the stock stuff in noctua heatsinks. plus, the noctua stuff doesnt have to be burned in