Graphic Card Upgrade Help

xVyren

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Right, Hi Guys :)

Basically i need some help, i bought a new computer made by "Medion" and it works fine but i want to upgrade the graphics card on it, but i don't know if my motherboard or other components would be compatible with it.

The graphics card im interested in is;
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards+-+GPUs/Graphics+Cards+-+NVIDIA/GeForce+GTX+650/Asus+GeForce+GTX+650+DirectCU+1024MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=53482&rqcType=new#rqc

And my Motherboard model is a MS-7658

Also need to know if my case will be able to fit the Graphics card in so here are the measurements;
Width - 180mm
Depth - 390mm
Height - 360mm

My weak area in computing is compatibility and sizing so please help :)

G

this looks like your board:
500e93fab5cf7_223798b.jpg

and considering that GTX 650 isn't any longer than "average" it will fit unless you have a hard drive rack in the way, which would also block the 24 pin power connection . .( or close to it)

xVyren

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Ok thanks alot, i will check to see if my hard drive gets in the way, so after that i should be good to go? and do you know whether its definitely compatible or not?

G

the motherboard and case ought to be fine but what is your power supply?

that GTX 650 needs:
1x 6-Pin PCI-E Connectors required

granted the card uses ~65 watts at most (which the PCI slot can provide 75 watts) but not having the connector will cause it to be unstable.

xVyren

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Ok i just opened up my computer it says i got a 400w psu :S so where do i go from here?

G

ok. a few things.

on the label you ought to see the 3.3, 5 and 12 volt amperage.

then what cpu do you have?

even though 400 CAN BE enough; what really matters is how any amps are on the 12 volt rail and what cpu you have. (because both the graphics and cpu uses 12 volts)

xVyren

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

i have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz Quad-Core

G

ok you need to have this from the PSU:
pci-e-power-connector-2.jpg

i would NOT suggest using one of these:
S15-9802-call08-ozpr.jpg

can you afford this?:
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 $39.99
$19.99 after $20.00 rebate card

you really need 24+ amps on the 12 volt "rail"

(edit: yes it will fit your case with no worries!)

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Get any quality PSU Quality > Quantity

Pretty much any *quality* 400+W PSU will do the trick. Don't try to upgrade anything until you get a PSU. I constantly see PSU's die on name brand (think Dell, HP) computers because they cheap out on the PSU. You're also going to have to see what kind fits. Without specifics it's possible yours is a standard, modular, or something else.

First figure out what fits properly (ie doesn't block any air movement, wires, etc) and then figure out what you want to buy. Give us the model of your computer and you'll get better advice.

xVyren

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

So if worst comes to worst and i don't have these connections, do you reckon you could give me a suggestion of a graphics card that is better than an NVIDIA GeForce 310 and fits to these specifications?

Motherboard: MS-7658
RAM: 4GB
CPU: Intel(R) Core i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07Ghz Quad-Core
PSU: 400W

by the way this is what my psu looks like for your info :)

http://images.pcwelt.de/images/pcwelt/bdb/2042012/800x.jpg

G

you're good to go! :)
FSP FSP400-60EMDN

not exactly a stellar PSU but far from turning into a flaming brick. btw, it looks like to dies have a 6 pin PEG (or Pci-E graphics) power connection (?)
http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/112576/fsp-fsp400-60emdn#tab:specifications
Connectors
6 pin PEG 1

xVyren

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
G

that FSP power supply is ok. on the label is specs 336 watts MAX for the 12 volts combined; that enough for you to get a 650.

and it looks like it ought to have one of these to power the card (repost)
pci-e-power-connector-2.jpg

^
Connectors 6 pin PEG 1

the "review" i found has it @ 81.5% efficiency, not all that great but it isn't the junk i feared it to be.; i expected a horrible "no name" PSU in that.

in other words, no need to buy anything . . .

xVyren

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Thanks mate you have been a massive help, so if i check to see if it has one of those connections, i'll be alright to order it? and just incase, if i put the GTX650 in my computer and it doesnt work what happens then? will it have caused problems to my computer? :)

G

you'll be fine.

if you install the card and it does not work, i am 99.9% sure no harm will come to your system (0.1% for an act of god.) the screen will just stay black.

xVyren

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Alright mate thanks again looks like im ordering me a GTX650 :D

So to verify, im not buying anything else (because i dont need to), my psu is sufficient to run the 650, it all will fit fine in the case, the motherboard will be compatible, no harm will come to my system if *** hits the fan? and i will be able to put the 310 back in? :) :pt1cable:

xVyren

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Alright then, thanks for the help buddy and enjoy christmas! (if you celebrate it i dunno :D ) :bounce: :pt1cable:

xVyren

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Sorry back again, haha i just thought of a new problem basically my psu and graphics card will be very close and there might be a problem with air flow? any suggestions? lol

G

that is just a 650, not like a 480 that was like putting a small oven in a cabinet, it'll be fine.

xVyren

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I was thinking more of the psu's fans are going down and obviously the graphics card will be going up and since they will be abit close will that effect anything? :)

G

there won't be a problem the 650; isn't a hot card so the overall cabinet temp won't change and if i see it in my mind's eye correctly, with both fans being across from each other blowing in opposite directions, it just may draw more air in between them.