New Build dilemma

Skripontoast

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hey everyone, I've been lurking for some time now reading about your builds. Well, I think I screwed up my rig and now I have to start over. First my specs:

NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case - Black
1 x Processor Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor (4x 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
1 x Processor Cooling Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1366] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan
1 x Memory 12 GB [2 GB X6] DDR3-1600
1 x Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 2GB Single Card **

1 x Motherboard [SLI] Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2 w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16

1 x Power Supply XION PowerReal XON-700P14N 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply
Runcore 240gb SSD

1 x Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Well I decided I needed more GPU power but was too cheap to buy a new high end card, so I decided to buy a used GTX 460 on eBay and run them in SLI with coolbits.

First I had issues with power. I just didn't have enough cords coming from my PSU to connect the second card. I would have had to split several Molex power cords and then adapt them to 6pin connectors.

Now how do I determine if my power supply can even handle. I think 700W should be enough, but I don't know how to calculate the amperage. And how safe is it to split Molex cables to get two 6 pin connectors out of them.

Well this problem became academic as my motherboard just stopped working after I installed the second card. It began with a main bios checksum error. I tried flashing the bios again with qflash, I cleared CMOS, the whole deal. Now it won't function AT ALL.

Basically I need a new motherboard. Now I know the LGA1366 chipset is dead, so should I just replace the motherboard or upgrade to a new chipset with a new board and new cooling system to accommodate it?

I was thinking i5 3750k lga1155 with an AS Rock extreme 4 mobo. I would appreciate any input or advice. Constructive criticism and insults are also welcome as long as I can learn something from them. Thank you.