Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 660 ti install help needed

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 25, 2012 3:29:20 PM

I am not very good with technical Pc stuff so I would be grateful for any help you can give me regarding upgrading my Graphics Card. The card has already been bought. What I need advice about is installing the Graphics Card, in particualr the power supply compatibilty.

This is my Pc
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en...

The PSU in the machine is specs here
http://allpcpower.com/pca246.aspx

The Graphics Card I have to install is
http://www.dabs.com/products/evga-geforce-gtx-660-ti-98...

So the card says minimum of 450w and my PSU says 460w, yes I understand that some PC's come with not so great PSU's and that I really should upgrade the PSU, but money is tight and the card was a gift.... I was hoping I could get away with it :/ 

But my main issue is connecting up the new card with the PSU, I opened up the case and I found one loose 6 pin coming from the PSU inside the case already, but the card needs 2.... it came with 2 x 4 pin to 6 pin power cables but i have no idea where or how I connect these up to the PSU. I have never really done anything like this with a PC before.

Anyone tell me if I could connect it up with the loose 6 pin in the case already then use one of the cables it came with to connect the other, but where do the 2x4 pin to 6 pin hook up, I know where to connect to on the GPU its just the PSU end Im not sure about

The reason I got the 660 ti is that it requires less power than the 560 ti so I was hoping I wouldnt need to upgrade the psu

So 1, can I hook it up with the current PSU

So to recap the current gpu is not using power from the psu that I can see, inside the case I have one loose 6 pin connector coming from the PSU so how do I go about connecting another

Sorry for the lack of technical knowledge

More about : gtx 660 install needed

December 25, 2012 3:38:54 PM

so if my psu had them, they would be hanging loose with the 6 pin one i mentioned thats loose in the case correct?
December 25, 2012 3:40:13 PM

ok thanks for your help kind numpty
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2012 3:43:13 PM

Aitchy said:
so if my psu had them, they would be hanging loose with the 6 pin one i mentioned thats loose in the case correct?

correct

but some cheaper psus dont have a lot of connectors
December 25, 2012 3:45:09 PM

ok i will open up and look, I seen a few spare sata connectors I am pressuming,,,, never noticed a bigger one,,,,

From my psu's specs what one is the molex,,, the 4 pin 12v?

24 Pin Motherboard Connector ATX
4 pin 12v P4 Connector
6 X Sata Connectors
1 X PCIe 6 Pin Connector
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2012 3:47:40 PM

no the 4 pin 12v goes to the motherboard for cpu power

edit--if you have no spare 4 pin molex

you can buy cheaply 2 x sata connectors to 6 pin pci-e

if you have 2 sata connectors free
December 25, 2012 3:49:31 PM

lol thats not a good sign then :( 
December 25, 2012 3:52:22 PM

And I would need 2 spare 4 pin molex's right for 1 6 pin connection to the gpu
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2012 3:57:42 PM

yes 2 spare molex to use the connector you already have

or 2 x sata spare to buy the adapter
December 25, 2012 4:00:33 PM

nice one, that what i need then cause Im pretty sure I never saw anything bigger than the sata connectors

So its ok to use the loose 6 pin already in the case then use the 2 x sata to make the two connections?
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2012 4:02:38 PM

yes

without buying a new psu its your only option
Anonymous
December 25, 2012 4:03:28 PM

Please tell me if you get this resolved. I think i might also have the same problem, i am about to purchase a 660ti with a 430w psu BUT i DO have spare 4 pin molex's so i believe i am fine. Just would like to be 100% sure :) 
December 25, 2012 4:05:14 PM

Tell you tomorrow once i goto maplin, fingers crossed there open :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2012 4:11:10 PM

yes they are open till 6pm boxing day

though may cost a bit more in maplins or pc world than off the net
December 27, 2012 11:05:52 AM

Well went to maplin they never had the sata to pci cable. So i bought 2 sata to molex adapters.

Got the card up and running today, all is good. :)  Thanks for the advice numpty
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2012 11:11:04 AM

you are welcome :) 
!