Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Hello all.

My PC Components:

P8P67 motherboard

i5-2500k cpu

rip jaws 2gb x 2 ddr3 at 1600 MHz

How It Started:

My computer was sitting at desktop when i left the room. I came back to a blue screen. I didn't record the error message. I turned the computer off. I tried starting it back up, it would try to turn on for about 5, the motherboard would not make any beeps, then it would reset and stay powered on but again, no post from motherboard.

What I Have Tried:

1) I tried to replace power supply, didn't change anything

2) I RMA'd motherboard. It was then that i noticed that I only couldn't boot if ram was in slots a1 or a2.

3) I RMA'd cpu, didn't change anything

4) Flashed BIOS to most recent version, didn't do anything.

5) Underclocked Ram down to 1333 MHz, didn't do anything.

As It Stands Now:

I can boot fine with ram in either or both slots B1 and B2 (furthest 2 away from motherboard.) Any configuration I try that has ram in either A1 or A2, the computer will turn on but not post. I am looking for suggestions on what to try next. Even though the ram seems to be find, i'm thinking of trying to buy new ram that runs natively at 1333 MHz next.

Mods, please feel free to delete my other post. This one is more clear about the problem and what I have tried.

Blkxican

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I had the same issue, once I RMA'd the motherboard my PC is happy and works like a champ

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

This is a good idea, totally slipped my mind. Forgot Intels finally got onboard memory controllers, about 8 years after AMD did... lol

bobdaman18

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I RMA'd the original motherboard and the CPU.

I'm not sure if my original motherboard would boot with ram in slots a1 or a2. I tried messing around the ram, trying 1 at a time, and never got it to boot but that may have all been in the a1 or a2 slots.

I called asus tech support after replacing the motherboard with the one they sent me. They told me the board I had installed was fully tested and that the report showed all 4 rams slots were working. He told me it was probably the cpu. Should I call them again and ask for another replacement?

I checked for bent pins and didn't see any.

I thought that since i'm not running my memory in dual channel i'm getting a decent hit to performance? This isn't true?

Well it sounds like they tested your board and said it was fine so they sent you the same board back. Either way I would not accept a board where half the memory slots are bad. RMA this one too.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
If you have them in B1 and B2 they are in dual channel mode...

Here is a nice test. Take ALL ram out of the PC, turn it on, listen to the beeps... just use 1 stick of RAM, and test each slot. If it EVER makes the same kind of beeps again, then the slot is dead. If it makes a different beep, or no beeps, then we know the slot is not dead.

bobdaman18

Distinguished
May 31, 2008

I did the advanced RMA or whatever they call it. They sent me a new board while I still had the old one.

I'll try the no ram thing tomorrow. I don't think b1 and b2 is dual channel. They are color coded. Slots 1 and 3 are blue. Slots 2 and 4 are black. b1 is slot 3, b2 is slot 4. So right now there is one stick in blue and one stick in black.