Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Power Supply Malfunctioning?

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2013 6:44:32 PM

Hello, I recently purchased and installed the Ultra LSP-750Watt Power Supply in my system. I went from the Ultra LS 600 to the LSP 750. Everything works as planned, but here is my problem.

When ever I load up a game, WoW or even Minecraft. 2 - 5 minutes in, the LSP 750 gets crazy loud! The RPM of the fan is faster and louder than my CPU cooler! This is making no sense to me and it is the loudest thing in my case! Even the box says "Ultra Silent", false advertising if you ask me. I am curious why this is happening. Is it because the power supply is getting so hot that it needs to get that High/Loud? But what could be causing the heat!?

I've also noticed that it might have to do with my Graphics card, (MSI GTX 460 1GB Video RAM), as soon as the Graphics card starts doing its thing, the power supply seems to Heat up and the fan gets really loud!

If anyone could please help me on this it would be very appreciative. I've had the LS600 and never ran into this problem.
February 9, 2013 7:11:40 PM

RMA it. I bet the barring on the fan is defective.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 100 ) Power supply
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 9, 2013 7:13:05 PM

That PSu is pretty low quality and it likely only makes about 500w. You want a PSu from Antec, XFX, Corsair, or Seasonic. A 500-600w unit will be fine from those brands.
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2013 7:15:06 PM

tiny voices said:
That PSu is pretty low quality and it likely only makes about 500w. You want a PSu from Antec, XFX, Corsair, or Seasonic. A 500-600w unit will be fine from those brands.

I do not agree. Ultra is a fine power supply. I have owned a 600watt for over 6 years, and it has not ONCE gave me a problem. It is currently pulling a 1075T and a 6870... Im sure it can handle your rig...
m
l
February 9, 2013 7:19:09 PM

tiny voices said:

I am thinking about Shipping it back, but i've never done it before. Will I get my Money back? Plus my Ultra LS600 Watt did not do this at all. But I was looking at the CORSAIR HX750. Should I just get that instead?
m
l
February 9, 2013 7:21:00 PM

JefferyD90 said:
I do not agree. Ultra is a fine power supply. I have owned a 600watt for over 6 years, and it has not ONCE gave me a problem. It is currently pulling a 1075T and a 6870... Im sure it can handle your rig...

I've owned the Ultra LS600 For about 2 years and had not problems at all, besides some of the cables being to short (big case). But I had to upgrade because I'm getting new parts (new Graphics Card, RAM, HDD, and possibly CPU) so I went with the Ultra LSP750. But I didn't think it would do this. :( 
m
l
February 9, 2013 7:21:47 PM

Gallahger said:
I am thinking about Shipping it back, but i've never done it before. Will I get my Money back? Plus my Ultra LS600 Watt did not do this at all. But I was looking at the CORSAIR HX750. Should I just get that instead?

My question to you is did your other PSU fail? Because if it still works, just use it. If your not upgrading parts, then you have no reason to upgrade your power supply.
m
l
February 9, 2013 7:22:36 PM

I now retract my question... If I was you, I would RMA the PSU, I say its just bad luck that you got one with the fan messed up.
m
l
February 9, 2013 7:27:57 PM

JefferyD90 said:
I now retract my question... If I was you, I would RMA the PSU, I say its just bad luck that you got one with the fan messed up.

I figured I was getting bad luck. God Dangit! Also another reason why I upgraded was because the cords on the Ultra LS600 Were to short for my case and Mobo. It was almost bending the connectors on the Mobo, so I needed to get another 1. And yes I am upgrading Parts.

I've never RMA'd a product before (I've never had issues :/ ) Do I get my money back? And do I send it back to the company I got it from? (Tiger Direct)
m
l

Best solution

February 9, 2013 7:33:39 PM

If you got it within 30 days, Tiger will take care of you. Call them immediately. They are the BEST when it comes to returns.

Also, I would advise you to just get a $2-$5 6 inch extension for your current PSU.
February 9, 2013 7:37:24 PM

JefferyD90 said:
If you got it within 30 days, Tiger will take care of you. Call them immediately. They are the BEST when it comes to returns.

Also, I would advise you to just get a $2-$5 6 inch extension for your current PSU.

Wow, they make extensions for 8 Pin Mother Board connectors? I'm a Noob :/ 
m
l
February 9, 2013 8:16:36 PM

Best answer selected by Gallahger.
m
l
!