Mid-Range Gaming Setup - Yes or No

I want to have a mid-range machine capable of playing modern games for the next 5-10 years. Will this do?:

-Intel Core i3 2100
-GTX 650 Ti or GTX 660
-8 GB RAM
-ASRock H61M-HVS
-Coolermaster GX Lite 500W

Any and all opinions would be appreciated.
I'm a console person, please don't eat me.
5 answers Last reply
More about range gaming setup
  1. If you want somewhat futureproof rig that won't break your bank, you'll want at least i5 3470 with H77 motherboard and Radeon 7870 XT (Tahiti LE).
  2. Upgrade the processor to an i5 3550 or, if you know how to overclock, an i5 3570k. No setup now is garunteed to run games in 5-10 years, trust me, it's not like console gaming, graphics are much more demanding on PC. BUT, if you want to last that long, get a GTX 680 or 7970 GHz Edition for your GPU. You'll need a good 550 watt Power supply too. The next generation of graphics cards isn't said to be coming out for a while, so don't worry about that, I'm sure someone will respond to this thread saying to wait, I wouldn't, you can always upgrade. Besides that you are probably fine. I assume you'll be playing at 1080p?
  3. Quote:
    I want to have a mid-range machine capable of playing modern games for the next 5-10 years. Will this do?:

-Intel Core i3 2100
    -GTX 650 Ti or GTX 660
    -8 GB RAM
    -ASRock H61M-HVS
    -Coolermaster GX Lite 500W

Any and all opinions would be appreciated.
    I'm a console person, please don't eat me.

switch the power supply out with this one.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
    the h61 mb wont post with an ib cpu unless you flash it to the newest bios rev.
  4. If you really want it to last as long as possible you want this power supply. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119
    A Seasonic gold 550w modular.
  5. mclovits said:
    Upgrade the processor to an i5 3550 or, if you know how to overclock, an i5 3570k. No setup now is garunteed to run games in 5-10 years, trust me, it's not like console gaming, graphics are much more demanding on PC. BUT, if you want to last that long, get a GTX 680 or 7970 GHz Edition for your GPU. You'll need a good 550 watt Power supply too. The next generation of graphics cards isn't said to be coming out for a while, so don't worry about that, I'm sure someone will respond to this thread saying to wait, I wouldn't, you can always upgrade. Besides that you are probably fine. I assume you'll be playing at 1080p?

I'll want to play at a minimum of 720p.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gtx Systems Product