Trying to connect desktop to internet

amberwamber

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I have a wireless modem and router (netgear) I am hooked up on my laptop wirelessly to the internet, but my desktop can't do it wirelessly, so I used an ethernet cable hooked up directly to them and I can't figure it out, it's hooked up directly, but no connection.... laptop, works fine, desktop- not working what do I need to do?

RealBeast

Titan
Do you mean that the desktop is connected to the router by an Ethernet cable (to a port labelled LAN -- not WAN)? Or is the desktop connected to the laptop?

If desktop attached to LAN port on router, then set the desktop network configuration to obtain an ip address from the gateway (the router).

sshoun

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

How do you do that ???

deepak4network

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
In order to communicate the router and desktop, first check the physical connectivity that the router and desktop should be connected through cross cable.

Then second thing the router(default gateway) and desktop ip address should be in same class.

amberwamber

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Thanks all! I don't know what was wrong, but I am happy to say that my desktop is now working! :bounce: I restarted the whole process, and reset my access keys, and bingo- it worked. So- thanks so much, and have a good day! :pt1cable: