Sign in with
Your question

WHAT IS GOING ON!!! HELP!!!!

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2013 8:53:00 PM

I HAVE JUST BUILT A COMPUTER WITH AN GTX 650TI AND I JUST TESTED SKYRIM AND I ONLY GOT 15FPS ON LOW, WHAT IS GOING ON!? I should be getting wellll more even on 1080p ultra settings! I'm really worried because this was all so expensive to do. Your all [mostly] very smart on here so this is the first place i came, so what do i do to get more fps! :cry:  :fou:  :( 

Specs:

MOBO: Asus p8h61-m pro
HARD: 500gb 7200rpm
RAM: 4gb 1333mhz
GPU: GTX 650ti
CPU: intel i3 2120
PSU: Corsair

More about : question

February 9, 2013 8:56:43 PM

make sure your video connected to the gpu not the onboard video port. make sure you have installed the intel chipset drivers then nvidia video drivers.
February 9, 2013 9:01:35 PM

LOLAGE1864 said:
I HAVE JUST BUILT A COMPUTER WITH AN GTX 650TI AND I JUST TESTED SKYRIM AND I ONLY GOT 15FPS ON LOW, WHAT IS GOING ON!? I should be getting wellll more even on 1080p ultra settings! I'm really worried because this was all so expensive to do. Your all [mostly] very smart on here so this is the first place i came, so what do i do to get more fps! :cry:  :fou:  :( 

Specs:

MOBO: Asus p8h61-m pro
HARD: 500gb 7200rpm
RAM: 4gb 1333mhz
GPU: GTX 650ti
CPU: intel i3 2120
PSU: Corsair

Your video card is really bad and your cpu is even worse. On this type of a budget build you should have gone with a piledriver AMD build or spent more money for an i5-3570k, especially if Skyrim was your target. There is no fixing this for skyrim. The processor is slow cannot overclock, the asus motherboard is overpriced compared to an MSI/ASRock, and the 650ti is really bad at 1GB. I would return all of these parts and save money for a better build or go with an amd build assuming you still have money to work with because the shipping will kill your base investment.

Here is what you would be running in fps with the proper processor : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-... This is equivalent to an i5-3570k with 4200mhz overclock. Skyrim is cpu intensive so you need a 4ghz cpu, whether its an i5 or a vishera fx.

Assuming none of the above is possible then you need to attempt to increase processor clock frequency if it is at all possible on such a low end intel cpu. Amd would let you go nuts, intel not so much.
Related resources
February 9, 2013 9:09:37 PM

Praxeology said:
Your video card is really bad and your cpu is even worse. On this type of a budget build you should have gone with a piledriver AMD build or spent more money for an i5-3570k, especially if Skyrim was your target. There is no fixing this for skyrim. The processor is slow and not capable of overclocking, the asus motherboard is overpriced, and the 650ti is really bad at 1GB. I would return all of these parts and save money for a better build or go with an amd build assuming you still have money to work with something like that. The shipping would kill your base investment.

Here is what you would be running in fps with the proper processor : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-... This is equivalent to an i5-3570k with 4200mhz overclock. Skyrim is cpu intensive so you need a 4ghz cpu, whether its an i5 or a vishera fx.

This is not true as the op said that there was only 15fps on low and I have a friend who plays 30 or above on ultra using a 1gb gtx 650 ti. The problem may be not having the latest drivers and also make sure the cable is plugged into gpu not mb . The processor is not bad so shouldn't stop you playing.
February 9, 2013 9:14:07 PM

SlippySnowman said:
This is not true as the op said that there was only 15fps on low and I have a friend who plays 30 or above on ultra using a 1gb gtx 650 ti. The problem may be not having the latest drivers and also make sure the cable is plugged into gpu not mb . The processor is not bad so shouldn't stop you playing.

30+fps is perfectly possible... with a proper cpu. Your friend is not running an intel i3 2120 with a 650ti. Assuming the op knows to plug in his monitor's vga/dvi/hdmi cord into the video card and how to install drivers, his cpu is the biggest bottleneck in skyrim. And I highly doubt on low he is averaging 10fps, there is some exaggeration that goes with frustration. /thread
February 9, 2013 9:21:41 PM

SlippySnowman said:

what cpu did he have?
February 9, 2013 9:27:04 PM

Praxeology said:
30+fps is perfectly possible... with a proper cpu. Your friend is not running an intel i3 2120 with a 650ti. Assuming the op knows to plug in his monitor's vga/dvi/hdmi cord into the video card and how to install drivers, his cpu is the biggest bottleneck in skyrim. /thread

I installed the drivers and the vga cable is not working directly from the card into the monitor and shows a blank screen unless i plug it in from the motherboard now what?
February 9, 2013 9:32:25 PM

LOLAGE1864 said:
I installed the drivers and the vga cable is not working directly from the card into the monitor and shows a blank screen unless i plug it in from the motherboard now what?

If your monitor is plugging into the motherboard then you aren't using your graphics card. You need to figure out why you are getting a black screen. Perhaps go into bios and disable onboard video card and set to pcie video card.
February 9, 2013 11:50:31 PM

new mb have ipgpu set as the first video device. set it to peg/pci.
February 10, 2013 10:35:20 AM

smorizio said:
new mb have ipgpu set as the first video device. set it to peg/pci.

Now when i do that i have no signal on anything so i have to take my card out now turn it back on to 'igpu' then put the card back in and i'm back to square one again. the only other setting there is is 'igpu memory sharing' which goes from '32M-524M' [mine is on 64]
February 10, 2013 10:43:46 AM

Praxeology said:
If your monitor is plugging into the motherboard then you aren't using your graphics card. You need to figure out why you are getting a black screen. Perhaps go into bios and disable onboard video card and set to pcie video card.

My BIOS is terrible, it doesn't give me the option to disable 'onboard memory card' and change it to 'pcie'. Do you think you know where it might be because i've checked everywhere for it including system agent.
February 10, 2013 11:13:13 AM

My intel hd graphics 2000 works better than the gtx 650ti so it's NOT the cpu that is bad and the CPU also has a windows index score of 7.2
February 13, 2013 7:44:49 PM

Praxeology said:
Your video card is really bad and your cpu is even worse. On this type of a budget build you should have gone with a piledriver AMD build or spent more money for an i5-3570k, especially if Skyrim was your target. There is no fixing this for skyrim. The processor is slow cannot overclock, the asus motherboard is overpriced compared to an MSI/ASRock, and the 650ti is really bad at 1GB. I would return all of these parts and save money for a better build or go with an amd build assuming you still have money to work with because the shipping will kill your base investment.

Assuming none of the above is possible then you need to attempt to increase processor clock frequency if it is at all possible on such a low end intel cpu. Amd would let you go nuts, intel not so much.

You were soooooo wrong. I ordered a mini hdmi cable, hooked everything up and skyrim runs 60fps in dungeons at all times, 55-60 in the forests and 45-60 whilst fighting in forests... all in 1920x1080 res, Ultra settings and High resolution texture mod (and some mods to make it look prettier) and running fraps.
February 13, 2013 9:09:46 PM

LOLAGE1864 said:
You were soooooo wrong. I ordered a mini hdmi cable, hooked everything up and skyrim runs 60fps in dungeons at all times, 55-60 in the forests and 45-60 whilst fighting in forests... all in 1920x1080 res, Ultra settings and High resolution texture mod (and some mods to make it look prettier) and running fraps.

Fraps the mods installed, show the mods from launcher/nexusmod, and then play the game outsite whiterun on ultra settings. Post it on youtube and give me a link, or stop posting. If you are running 2k texture packs/water mod/lighting enb, ie the 3 mods that make skyrim amazing, have fun at 20-30fps. :hello:  I am glad you are happy though!
February 14, 2013 7:07:48 PM

Praxeology said:
Fraps the mods installed, show the mods from launcher/nexusmod, and then play the game outsite whiterun on ultra settings. Post it on youtube and give me a link, or stop posting. If you are running 2k texture packs/water mod/lighting enb, ie the 3 mods that make skyrim amazing, have fun at 20-30fps. :hello:  I am glad you are happy though!

Thanks! i'd make your answer the best answer but i don't know how to :) 
!