Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New gaming PC build (first build)

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2013 10:51:17 PM

This is my first time building a PC and I would like to know sort-of how to do it.

-What parts do I put together first?
-How should I spread the thermal paste?
-Do I only put in one gpu then after installing everything put in the second one?
-How do I have it so certain things are put on to my ssd and others on my hdd the first time I boot it up?
-Should I test it outside of the case or just put everything inside, and any other things that I should be warned about, being a new builder.

system specs:

cpu: i5 3570k
cpu cooler:noctua nh-d14
motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155
ram:G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD, and Samsung 840 pro Series 128GB SSD
gpu: (2) MSI R7970 Lightnings in 2 way CrossFire
case: nzxt phantom atx full tower
psu: xfx xxx 850w semi modular

disk reader thing: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
os: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

And MX-4 thermal paste

Thank you!

More about : gaming build build

February 10, 2013 1:13:06 PM

-What parts do I put together first? i always put the cpu , heatsink and ram on to the motherboard outside of the case

-How should I spread the thermal paste? a blob on the cpu about the size of a grain of rice or a pea

-Do I only put in one gpu then after installing everything put in the second one? i usually put the gpu in after i install the mobo into the case.

-How do I have it so certain things are put on to my ssd and others on my hdd the first time I boot it up? when you are ready to boot up your os leave your hdd unplugged

-Should I test it outside of the case or just put everything inside ? some do some don't i usually do
any other things that I should be warned about, being a new builder. STATIC ELECTRICITY MAKE SURE TO GROUND YOURSELF . two methods to that a wrist strap or touching the case every couple of minutes . And take your time and read the instructions for all the parts. Also watch some build video's on youtube thats how i learned . Have fun and good luck
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2013 9:20:22 PM

wich way should i have my nh-d14 blow out the back or the top, and which way does it blow?
m
l
February 11, 2013 12:05:57 AM

I am installing the nh-d14 and the directions say to put its backplate over the stock backplate were can I find the "stock backplate"?
m
l

Best solution

February 11, 2013 9:11:07 AM

have it mounted so that the fans are towards the exhaust fan as if you mount it vertically you may have issues with graphics card clearance...
February 14, 2013 4:40:19 AM

Best answer selected by reedunbar.
m
l
February 14, 2013 4:40:48 AM

thank you
m
l
!