New AMD RADEON HD 7970 odd problem...

December 25, 2012 8:55:51 PM

Hey all,

I recently purchased a custom built PC, the specs are:
CPU: Intel i7 processor
GPU: AMD RADEON HD 7970
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-v
RAM 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: TAURO IGMATEK 80PLUS BRONZE POWER (700W)

and there were some problems with it I resolved with not too much difficulty, but the GPU is acting really odd.

When I start the computer with the primary GPU set as the 7970, the computer runs normally but the screen is either pink with tears, green with tears or black with a few odd coloured pixels. I have managed to install all the drivers for the 7970 using catalyst whilst the MOBO's own GPU was set as the primary.

Initially I thought it was broken, but earlier I disabled INTEL (R) HD Graphics 4000 (MOBO's GPU I assume) and accidently set up a double screen and randomly put the HDMI into the GPU card and it was a crystal clear picture. It was the right hand side of the two screens but it was a clear picture and it would've been fine. I tried to set double screen to second screen only but it changed back to the INTEL GPU screen.

Anyone have ANY idea what is wrong? I don't know if it is broken, or badly set (either in hardware or software) or the specs are not good enough for what I have.

Thanks,

Joe H
!