my DVD rom doens't work, help please!!

G

I'm building a new computer, and I can't get the pioneer 106s dvd-rom to work. When I put in a CD/CD-R/CD-RW/DVD, none of them work. The light on the drive doesn't blink when the disk inserted, sometimes i hear a spinning sounds and then stops but that's about it. When I try to double click on the drive, it says "please insert a disk into
drive e:".

When I boot up into win2k the first time, the drive is automatically regconized and the driver was installed directly from windows. When I check the device manager, it says the drive is working properly. So I thought maybe the driver is outdated, so I tried to install the driver downloaded off their website and it won't install for some reason.

I have my HD on primary master, plextor CD-rw on secondary master, and the pioneer is on secondary slave. I have a XP1900, Asus A7v266-e, win2k system.

Do I have a broken drive, or am I doing something wrong? PLease help!

Amy

svol

Champion
If your drive is connected properly and displays normal but you can't read CD from it you have a great chance that it is broken.
I have a old 16x drive and and once it wouldn't work, it was detected by Windows but it wouldn't read any CD and refused to start spinning. After I opened it (wasn't under guaranty anymore) it seemed that the device that moves the laser was stucked and when I reseated it it ran perfectly again.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

I just bought this drive a week ago from micropro.com
they seem to have pretty good return/exchange policy according to their website. I'll give that a try.

Last night I was also able to install the driver off their website successfully. I guess that's also an indication that the drive is physically broken.

Thanks again,
Amy

svol

Champion
I don't know what kind of frivers there are (DOS or Windows) but if you still can't read from a CD with those drivers it also indicates that it is broken.

G

I took out the dvd and plug it into another computer, it was in as secondary slave. It worked!!! Tried two CDs, both worked. I dont' know whether I should be happy or not.
On one hand if the drive was broken then all I have to do is get a new one. Now that it's not, I still don't know what's wrong with it. Someone suggested that maybe it's the motherboard. I have a Asus A7v266-E.

Anyone have an idea?
Please help me!
Amy

svol

Champion
Change cable, maybe there is something wrong with the old one, and see if setting the DVD to secondary master and the CDRW secondary slave helps. You also might try if it works as primary slave. Also connect it with a different powerplug, maybe you have a bad one.

Aaron1719

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
Hey, just think of it this way... your not alone, i'm having the same problem. DVD drive works fine until i put it into my new comp. Tried different cable, set as cs, master on secondary IDE, reistalled driver, uninstalled driver, reinstalled XP, came here and so far still not working... hope ya figure it out!

Ok, in addition, i've tried all possible jumper combinations between the DVD and CDRW drives on secondary IDE and also tried it as a Slave on the primary IDE channel. Every time it'll see it but not read it. And like your's it'll work in a different computer. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Aaron1719 on 03/19/03 08:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>