Under $1200 build

Okay so I'm an Australian girl looking to buy her first custom made desktop. I have a buget of just shy of $1200 but I can go up to $1500 if it really worth it.

I'm an architecture student so the computer needs to run things like AudoCAD and Revit but I'm also a reasonably serious gamer (if my computer would run the games that is). At the moment my computer hardly can even run The Sims 3 (most expansions and such) with my school Software.

I'm looking for something with great graphics, silent, serious storage and really good graphics.

Can any one help?

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-4 weeks

Budget Range: $1200 total (can go up to $1500 if its really worth it)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Architecture/Photography programs (autoCAD, Revit, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, etc), streaming/watching movies, Gaming (Sims 3 - all expansions + heaps custom content, Assassins Creed, Portal, etc)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, included with the build. Has to be 20-25 inchs. No widescreen please.

Parts to Upgrade: The whole computer, completely new build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, microsoft 64bit

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: pccasegear.com

Parts Preferences: Don't mind as long as it works and it doesn't cost excessively large amounts of money

Overclocking: No - I don't know anything about it

SLI or Crossfire: No - I don't know anything about it

Monitor Resolution something around 1600x1200+

Additional Information: Quiet and a space saver. Monitor has to be 20-24inch and not widescreen. It needs to have a REALY good graphics card, heaps of storage and be speedy. I also need a Card Reader and a good webcam for Skype. I'm not too worried about the case, as long as it has room for everything I need and is reasonably priced I will be happy (love the Fractal Design ones though).

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm going into a degree in Architecture and Graphic Design but I want to keep up my gaming habits along with my photography. At the moment my computer can barely take my Architecture software so as you can imagine I need to update.

This is my current set up. Please feel free to change things or correct me.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
Motherboard: ASRock H77-PRO4-MVP
Memory: Corsair Vengeance CML 16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001
Storage: Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB SSD
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB
Power: Antec High Current Bamer 520W HCG-520
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/BEBS SATA DVDRW Drive OEM
Card Reader: Astrotek V-301 3.5 Internal USB 3.0 Card Reader
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Moniter: Dell S2340L 23in IPS LED
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM

I'm not looking to build it myself, maybe the next one. On pccasegear.com it is $99 for them to build it and another $100 to send it out from melbourne. If anyone knows a better site thats cheaper feel free to send me the link.

CURRENT TOTAL: $1750 apox.
2 answers Last reply
More about under 1200 build
  1. if your not looking to build it yourself you might get more views if you put this in the prebuilt subcategory. good luck on your quest
  2. when including a monitor and other things, it is hard to get a pc of your requirements for a budget of 1200, especially your location makes it even more difficult because of the suppliers that are just.... not there.

=======================================================

I can suggest that you should buy a cooler for the CPU

this will run pretty quiet at idle and the top speed aint so bad (the reason is, that stock coolers will not be able to handle heat from cpu when you put stress unless the fan kicks in high RPM, so then you will get the noise. buying a better cooler will help the fan from having to go into high rpm)
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

this one is even quieter for same price but the one on top i believe is a better performer
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silenx-cpu-cooler-efz120ha5

==========================================================

overclocking; basically buying a cpu with "k" => 3770k
    indicates an unlocked multiplier which will allows you to crank up the speed on your cpu through BIOS. This is useful when you want more performance out of your PC and allows you to stretch the "useful" time frame of your pc. So when new games and programs come out and your pc seems to struggle a little, you could always just crank up the speed a bit. the 3770k will go to 4.5Ghz with a good cooler. but that is a decision for you to make.

===========================================================

i would go with western digital over the seagate hard drives, personal experience

i think getting a 7870 Radeon video card would serve better, gigabyte or sapphire

something like this, is also Overclocked (factory overclocked, the reason i say this is because you put 660OC => OC = overclocked)

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100354ocl

even faster is this, but... now we are getting into full sized cards which in a mid size case may sometimes cause problems to fit. but quick google search shows it being done with your case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr787oc2gd <= i would choose this

why do you not want a widescreen...? I hated wide screen monitors but then i was like... w/e ill give it a try. now when i go back to my old computer, im like "wtf... this monitor is so tiny!" going from 19" to 23.5", its nice difference, wider view especially for games.

If you wish to make it a quiet computer, you would need to spend a few bucks on some quiet fans, the case comes with 2 fans already, they are marked as "quiet series" so i guess thats fine, but there are 3 more slots, if you wish to have good airflow in your computer, i would suggest getting 3 more quiet fans

PSU silent http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-power-supply-rs720spm2d3us

============================================================

basically these are just some thoughts on your post... since im in canada i cant give you very definite advise, but i can make suggestions or description to help you make your choice.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product