Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My first gaming pc build

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2013 3:45:01 AM

I am building a new pc and I am trying to make sure i purchase parts taht will be reliable and will work well together, so far I have purchased a

-ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard

-Kingston HyperX Blu HS Desktop Memory Module - 4GB

Now the next things I am going to purchase are the

-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU

-A second Kingston HyperX Blu HS Desktop Memory Module - 4GB

-And XION AXP-700K14XE 700W Power Supply

I am not so sure about this psu however, i read bad things but I am not sure what brand i should be looking for.

The video card I am going to run will be the

-eVGA GTX 660 2gb SC

According to the asus power supply recommendation, I should have a minimum of 500W, but I want a little more for safety sake.

Does this build look like it would work well?
Am I missing something that will cause this to just fall apart on me?

As for hdd I will have a 40 gb sata for starters, until i can afford to get a bigger one, in the meantime i would be running a 500 gb external.

More about : gaming build

February 10, 2013 4:14:06 AM

MG Ocelot said:
I am building a new pc and I am trying to make sure i purchase parts taht will be reliable and will work well together, so far I have purchased a

-ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard

-Kingston HyperX Blu HS Desktop Memory Module - 4GB

Now the next things I am going to purchase are the

-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU

-A second Kingston HyperX Blu HS Desktop Memory Module - 4GB

-And XION AXP-700K14XE 700W Power Supply

I am not so sure about this psu however, i read bad things but I am not sure what brand i should be looking for.

The video card I am going to run will be the

-eVGA GTX 660 2gb SC

According to the asus power supply recommendation, I should have a minimum of 500W, but I want a little more for safety sake.

Does this build look like it would work well?
Am I missing something that will cause this to just fall apart on me?

As for hdd I will have a 40 gb sata for starters, until i can afford to get a bigger one, in the meantime i would be running a 500 gb external.

965 is ok, it's what I am running at 4.2, but I would go with an fx piledriver. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 10 dollars more expensive then the quad core version. The PSU is a no-brand hit and miss so it's up to you if you want to swing the bat and find out. The card is fine also though I would look for a Dual-fan 660 model.
m
l
February 10, 2013 4:21:02 AM

Praxeology said:
965 is ok, it's what I am running at 4.2, but I would go with an fx piledriver. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 10 dollars more expensive then the quad core version. The PSU is a no-brand hit and miss so it's up to you if you want to swing the bat and find out. The card is fine also though I would look for a Dual-fan 660 model.

Thank you for the suggestion, i didnt think to look at the fx series, i did read that they were a bit of a letdown so i didnt really bat an eye at them, but after looking through that, i think thats a better choice, im glad that i did pick compatible parts, i have been researching for well over a month now.

I'm gonna see about the dual fan gpu, and the power supply I really am iffy on, would you have any suggestions for me? around the same price range preferably.

EDIT: I found this psu, how would this compare to the previous one?

-Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2013 5:08:32 PM

byogamingpc said:
I would actually go with this PSU. This should work for you and is a great brand name.
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 700-Watt Power Supply - $74.98 @ Amazon.com
http://tinyurl.com/bb7ux3t

Personally, I don't recommend a Cooler Master PSU, and I don't know many people who would. I would get an XFX, Corsair or SeaSonic.
m
l
February 14, 2013 5:09:04 PM

Also, maybe you could shell out a bit more money for a Ti version of the 660.
m
l
February 14, 2013 10:13:04 PM

byogamingpc said:
I do like XFX and is actually what I have in my home build. I don't think you would need to have more power than 650W, you'd just being paying for extra wattage that you won't be using. This one would probably be more than enough for you.

XFX PRO650W Core Edition 80+ Bronze - $91.75 + FREE Shipping
http://tinyurl.com/ap6jx8n

For the psu, only Corsair/Seasonic go into my systems, and my recommendations. As far as the 660/660Ti thing, whatever works for your, there isn't much difference.
m
l
February 15, 2013 4:57:39 AM

I went ahead with a corsair, I prefer to be safer with a well known quality product, also between the 660 and 660ti, its not worth the extra 50 - 80 dollars, the 660 is still a powerhouse capable of running games on max settings at 1080p. I don't feel like I am cutting corners on the gpu. This is a very solid, mid - high end gpu.

Thank you all for the responses :) 

Also Praxeology, Thank you very much for suggesting the fx 6300, i feel like that will add years to my build and save me money now than having to upgrade again in the future.
m
l

Best solution

February 15, 2013 7:11:05 AM

MG Ocelot said:
I went ahead with a corsair, I prefer to be safer with a well known quality product, also between the 660 and 660ti, its not worth the extra 50 - 80 dollars, the 660 is still a powerhouse capable of running games on max settings at 1080p. I don't feel like I am cutting corners on the gpu. This is a very solid, mid - high end gpu.

Thank you all for the responses :) 

Also Praxeology, Thank you very much for suggesting the fx 6300, i feel like that will add years to my build and save me money now than having to upgrade again in the future.

Glad I could help, I like your changes; close the thread, and enjoy the new build!
February 15, 2013 3:17:13 PM

Best answer selected by MG Ocelot.
m
l
!