Closed Solved

Will my processor handle this video card?

processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz with this video card: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-SUPERCLOCKED-Graphics-02G-P4-2662-KR/dp/B00966IREK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356391514&sr=8-1&keywords=GTX+660

i am on a studio xps 8000
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will processor handle video card
  1. It can handle the card with no problems. The card looks a bit big in size, just make sure it will fit in your cabinet.
  2. It will be fine.
    No Bottlenecks.
  3. Beware of the psu, the one that comes with the pc(studio xps 8000) is a 350w one, you need to buy a new psu, with 500w-550w.
  4. djangoringo said:
    Beware of the psu, the one that comes with the pc(studio xps 8000) is a 350w one, you need to buy a new psu, with 500w-550w.

Yeah for sure you are going to need to upgrade the PSU but the CPU will not bottleneck. Though it is older, it can still pack a punch.

For a psu I recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Oh and I forgot to mention that I used this exact PSU with that exact graphics card in a build for a client. It works like a charm.
  5. I know I am just a sucker for modular PSUs lol. Can't handle messy cables.
  6. Dsudi19 said:
    I know I am just a sucker for modular PSUs lol. Can't handle messy cables.

i was planning on buying a 650w corsair, non modular. should i really get a modular?
  7. djangoringo said:

thx but, dont u think its better to upgrade to a better one thatn 550w just in case in the future i want another video card or something?
  8. I don't see why even a 670 gtx will do with a 550w psu.
    You don't have a mobo for sli, and the next series gfx cards will have a even lower power consumption, any good 550w psu can handle any single gpu card.
  9. castro10 said:
    i was planning on buying a 650w corsair, non modular. should i really get a modular?

Hmmm well it's certainly not 100% necessary but it sure does make for better cable management. As for the power supply, 550 w should do you fine but if you are truely considering upgrading in the future to something like a 670, a 650w will be more future proof.
  10. djangoringo said:
    I don't see why even a 670 gtx will do with a 550w psu.
    You don't have a mobo for sli, and the next series gfx cards will have a even lower power consumption, any good 550w psu can handle any single gpu card.

thanks! any recommendation for a video card around that price? or should i stick with that one
  11. What's your total budget ?
  12. i dont think theres anything i should worry about, i mean in terms of size or something, should i just order that 550w psu and this card?
  13. djangoringo said:
    What's your total budget ?

my total budget is around 310$ for PSU+Video card
  14. Well the asus is cheaper, it's has a better cooling system, it's more silent, the evga one is also good, in terms of oc, both are equal.
  15. Just to be 100% sure before using all my money, if my processor can handle it, there is nothing i should worry about ordering this video card right? also ordering that psu
  16. Best answer
    Well with a new psu, no worries at all, your cpu will not bottleneck the 660 gtx.
    Your case is small but it fits the 660 gtx, it's not a long card, it's small one compared to the others).
  17. Best answer selected by castro10.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Processors Graphics Product