Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 live mail - POP 3 e-mail accounts

Last response: in Windows 7
January 30, 2010 5:17:18 AM

While away from home, can a pop3 account be accessed by live mail?

I am with Shaw (Canada) and their online e-mail access sucks. I need to be able to download to my computer when away from home for extended periods of time.
a b $ Windows 7
January 30, 2010 6:02:19 AM

Yes, live mail can access mail accounts via pop3 or imap.
January 30, 2010 2:05:13 PM

As Ijack says, yes it can.
However check that your e-mail account is not tied into your phoneline.
Some ISP's do not allow access to email accounts except through the registerd phone line for that account.
If that happens to cover your own e-mail account then you can always resort to a webmail interface anyway.
Related resources
January 31, 2010 6:59:52 PM

Ijack said:
Yes, live mail can access mail accounts via pop3 or imap.

After spending 5 + hours on it last night, I managed to add my Shaw e-mail accounts to WLM. The e-mails download fine - automatically actually. However, I cannot forward them on. They simply sit in the Outbox. I cannot create a new e-mail in one of the Shaw accounts and have it sent either.

I have tried using Sync and my g-mail account works just fine - however, I get an error message for my Shaw accounts. I would like to have some control over the download process.

My main problem now is getting WLM to send from Outbox. Google solutions were to change the port - I tried that with no better results.
January 31, 2010 7:01:19 PM

plasmastorm said:
As Ijack says, yes it can.
However check that your e-mail account is not tied into your phoneline.
Some ISP's do not allow access to email accounts except through the registerd phone line for that account.
If that happens to cover your own e-mail account then you can always resort to a webmail interface anyway.

I am trying to contact my e-mail provider at home to see if they have any ideas.
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2010 7:18:53 PM

I don't know if this is relevant.

Are you on Shaw at present, or some other provider? If the latter, have a look here under "OUTGOING SERVER NAME NOTE:".
February 1, 2010 4:06:06 AM

Ijack said:
I don't know if this is relevant.

Are you on Shaw at present, or some other provider? If the latter, have a look here under "OUTGOING SERVER NAME NOTE:".

We are currently in California and all Shaw servers are in Canada - mostly western Canada.

!