***Windows 8 Issues

FnIrish

Feb 10, 2011
I have noticed a few things about Windows 8 that I am not very happy about and am wondering if anyone can help me with these issues.

Scenario #1: There have multiple occassions where I have been asked how to reset a forgotten password in Windows 8. I would like to know how I can fix this issue. I have even tried my Password Reset boot disk, but it is only made for Windows 7 and previous versions of Windows. Does anyone have an answer for this and if so would you please help?

Scenario #2: Safe Mode, yeah, that... Ok, I am used to being able to boot into Safe Mode when there is an issue with Windows starting or a virus has been unleashed. If I can access Safe Mode then I can fix most anything. The peculiar and frustating thing about Windows 8 "Troubleshooting" or "Safe Mode" is that I know of no easy way to access it. I have tried the normal ways of doing so and the ways that I have read online and they do not seem to work properly. I have tried the following: Repeatedly press F8 when rebooting, press F8 once when rebooting, hold shift and press F8, hold shift and press F8 repeatedly, press F4 (which sounded odd), but did it anyway. What the hell am I missing or am I not doing right? Please help with this as well. This is not just on one brand or specific computer, this is on a regular basis.

Is there like a Master Disc or a Password Reset Disc for Windows 8? What the hell is up with the "Troubleshooting" or "Safe Mode" not being able to be accessed?

Answers needed A.S.A.P.

Thank you.

-start control panel, type password reset disk in the search pane.
Under user account there is a "create password reset disk" option
I think it writes to a UBS flash drive.

-booting into safe mode: I think it is SHIFT + F8
I just run msconfig and select the boot option directly.

there are menues but they buried the option to boot into safe mode in to the menus,
from the start screen, under settings, then recovery, then advanced repair, then troubleshoot, then advanced options then windows startup settings then
restart

then when it boots the advanced boot options menus comes up.

pretty lame way to get there.

FnIrish

Feb 10, 2011
@johnbl: You should read what I wrote again. Everything you typed does NOT apply in this situation.

@jimpz: I appreciate the advice and I have actually tried that, but unfortunately that does not seem to work either. The whole thing about Windows 8 being a stable OS has not really proven to be true as of yet. I do work as a computer technician and I have searched for answers, but have run into the same issues on multiple computers. Even the ones in store that are live demo models.

Any other ideas??

rajatrockers007

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
i havre the answer to your second question
1.click win+c and click on the setting button
2. click on change pc setting
3. select genral tab and choose the last option of advance startup and it will reboot to safe mode

sorry for any confusion you seemed to have 2 problems.
1. you used a windows 7 password reset disk on windows 8, I tried to point you to where in control panel you would make a windows 8 password reset disk.

2. you were having issues getting into safe mode via keystrokes, I tried to show you where you can tell the OS to boot into safe mode on the next reboot.
(msconfig or advanced tab)

I guess I could add that I would only expect a windows 8 password reset disk to work for a local account. Otherwise I would expect to use have to use the cloud authentication providers reset method.

FnIrish

Feb 10, 2011

I am not able to actually get into windows 8 at all. Therefore, the steps that you told me do not apply. Thank you anyway, but there has to be a way to get to the advanced options or safe mode, like when you could just mash f8 before booting into windows.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

Put your windows cd in choose advanced options. If you have no windows cd, shift + f8, if preinstalled system whatever key you need to press to get into recover options, choose advanced. choose whatever.

PW if you forgot your PW and you did not make a PW reset disk well that was not smart was it. If u can remember your pw hint well that was silly that you cant remember it.

If uing Microsoft account and forgot that Password and PW hint, you need a computer or phone, and change your password on line. MS will never allow you to use a reset disk for a microsoft account, safty reason.
Last if your not happy with win 8 dont use it.

Dont try to say whatif I dont have use of a computer to make an account or change a PW, There are lots of places computers are free to use, a buddies phone or whatever. People with slow memory should write down PW or everday task for reminders.

Hope this helps