Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First build help plz

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 10, 2013 4:20:30 AM

New to this computer building thing and was just wondering if there will be any problems with my build.

Dont really have a a set budget just want to get a good price/performance ratio.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Cz4D

already have windows 7 and using an old cd drive

More about : build plz

February 10, 2013 4:23:25 AM

Not looking to overclock on my first build. not right away anyways
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 4:30:02 AM

The link won't work for us, you need to use the permalink option
m
0
l
Related resources
February 10, 2013 4:31:40 AM

thank u fixed it.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 4:41:00 AM

Minor edit
The 7870xt is only $10 more than the 7870 you chose but performs quite a bit better
Went with cheaper motherboard and a better case for price

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $740.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 01:44 EST-0500)

Using a better motherboard for the same price

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $760.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 01:43 EST-0500)
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 4:44:27 AM

You would probably be better off with an FX 6300 and upgrading your GPU to a 7950. If performance is not where you want it in games, you can still overclock the FX 6300. If you decide to overclock, get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler for your CPU.

Edit: If you are going to Microcenter, you can get an i5 3570k for the same price as the 8350 you listed. The i5 3570k>FX 8350 in gaming.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 4:48:08 AM

^ yeah he can get the FX6300 but the 7870XT performs close enough so I would stick with that unless he needs the 3gb of vram



EDIT: I think those are online microcentre deals, not in store ones, but mircocenter nearby changes a lot of things
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 4:52:45 AM

Quote:
the motherboard i chose is 65$ after mail and rebate should i still go with the other one? i used tiger direct and ncix to build my system. Also i do like that gpu u list but dont know if i really wanna order from 3 places. i live in canada btw so dont think i get that sale now that i think about it.
stickmansam said:
Minor edit
The 7870xt is only $10 more than the 7870 you chose but performs quite a bit better
Went with cheaper motherboard and a better case for price

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $740.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 01:44 EST-0500)

Using a better motherboard for the same price

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $760.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 01:43 EST-0500)

m
0
l
February 10, 2013 5:11:18 AM

PSU is a good deal

FX8350 will cost about $50 more
Ordering form only Direct Canada and Canada COmputer can be done but expect prices to be a bit higher or see if you cna get all the parts form NCIX and price match the parts (NCIX does price matching)


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($132.96 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($77.00 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.80 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $693.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 02:09 EST-0500)
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 5:23:05 AM

stickmansam said:
PSU is a good deal

FX8350 will cost about $50 more
Ordering form only Direct Canada and Canada COmputer can be done but expect prices to be a bit higher or see if you cna get all the parts form NCIX and price match the parts (NCIX does price matching)


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($132.96 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($77.00 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.80 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $693.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 02:09 EST-0500)


Thanks for your help. going to try and order that build u got there. save some money too :) 

on second thought i could spend 50 bucks more on a gpu.... lol
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 5:24:48 AM

Then grab the sapphire 7870XT for about $260 if you want to spend the extra cash
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2013 6:09:52 AM

if you look at the gpu clock speed of both cards the second link is to the newer one ghz card. amd made some tweeks to there gpu chips the newer cards run faster and use less power. so the 219.00 card is slightly faster on clock speeds the nthe other card.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 6:20:00 AM

smorizio said:
if you look at the gpu clock speed of both cards the second link is to the newer one ghz card. amd made some tweeks to there gpu chips the newer cards run faster and use less power. so the 219.00 card is slightly faster on clock speeds the nthe other card.


so the one with the slower clock speed is an older overclocked model? im looking for the overclocked ones thats what i thought the XT meant.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 5:05:55 PM

that is totally wrong
the first card is a 7870XT @ 925 mhz, it is based on a Tahiti LE chip that is faster than the Pitcairn XT chip in the regular 7870
Tahiti XT (7970) > Tahiti Pro (7950) > Tahiti LE (7870XT) > Pitcairn XT (7870) > Pitcairn Pro (7850)

The 7870XT is a card in a totally different class than any normal 7870
Think of the Tahiti LE/7870XT as a 7930
m
0
l
!