$1200 gaming PC

DreSki

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: The next week or so

Budget Range: About $1200 after shipping and before rebates could possibly go higher if its worth it

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming mostly, watching movies and net surfing
Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None in particular as long as i can order it from online

Location: City, State/Region, Country: Woodbury, New Jersey U.S.

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Maybe. This will be my first non prebuilt store bought pc so id be willing to if i found out what i was doing

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Just want somthing that can play the games i play well. Like crysis 2, guild wars 2, dead space 3 WoW Starcraft 2, Bf3 and upcoming games like crysis 3 and such

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Wanna finally be able to max out the games i play! Had my current comp for about 9 years and it cuts off when i try to play games now. Figure its time i got a legit gaming computer for once.

DreSki

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Wow i wanna thank you for the quick reply i appreciate you taking the time. What i forgot to mention was not now but maybe in the future id like to buy 2 more monitors and try a triple monitor setup if money permits it so i was wondering if itd be upgradeable to do so? Otherwise the build youve shown me looks good and that phantom case looks sick. Ofc anyone elses input would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

DreSki

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011

Build looks nice it doesnt have an OS tho. Speaking of which would it be better to get windows 8 or 7? It probably doesnt matter but i figure why not ask? And Firespert that looks awesome as well. Thank you guys.

Firespert

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

You have to try it before you can say that. It has a desktop that can do everything windows 7 does and more.

DreSki

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Well i wouldnt mind either honestly my comp still has vista so im sure either of the 2 is better then this lol. But after looking over you guys suggestions how would this build be?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CB3g

Does it seem ok and compatible?

Edit: Ok after looking at it looks like id maybe have to drop the SSD for the OS unless i can cut the price elsewhere otherwise it should be good right?

Firespert

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
i5-3570k > fx 8350 - single threaded performance such as games that don't utilize more than 4 cores

fx 8350 > i5-3570k - multi-threaded performance such as gaming and streaming at the same time

In simple terms.

Praxeology

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Not really true. Piledriver processors like the 8350 run an equal fps compared to intel i5/7s in 99percent of games, skyrim/planetside ie cpu intensive games it will lose about 20fps. However, this is comparing stock speeds, if both are clocked at 4.5 then they might not equalize so nicely. Either way they are both nice and I would be tempted to grab an 8350 just for the 1080p game-streaming/general multi-tasking.

battlefield%203%201920.png

Praxeology

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Ya, I just went and looked at wow/skyrim benchmarks and it ranged from 5-20 fps lower 5-10 on wow, 15-20 fps lower on skyrim. Like I said though, Piledriver processors like the 8350 run an equal fps compared to intel i5/7s in 99percent of games, skyrim/planetside ie cpu intensive games it will lose about 20fps. And as you say as more game engines come out to support more threads, AMD fx 8350 is a great buy, and when steamroller comes out, even better.