Solved

Looking to upgrade

Hey guys,
I partially upgraded my system last year and now I'd like to upgrade the remaining parts.
My "new" things are a Nvidia 560GTX Ti GPU, an Antec 650w ATX12V V2.3 PSU and 2x4GB DDR3RAM.

Unfortunately my motherboard doesn't support the RAM, so they've been sitting in their box this whole time. I want to upgrade my motherboard and my CPU, but I want to make sure the new ones I order are compatible with my purchases from last year.
I've got a $800~ budget and the less costlier the better as I wouldn't mind maybe getting a second 23" monitor.

Thanks.

edit: argh, I meant CPU not GPU
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about looking upgrade
  1. Best answer
    Guessing this is a gaming rig?

An upgrade like this would be fairly good and will leave you room for the extra monitor.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $617.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 05:50 EST-0500)
  2. Primarily yes, I suppose. I use it more for modelling these days, but those models are usually for TF2, haha.

Also I meant to write CPU, not GPU. I'm kicking myself for that. I don't really need to upgrade my GPU, I think.
    So yeah just the CPU and the Mobo.

Thanks again.

(argh, still kicking myself)
  3. Then just take of 7950 off my suggestion, about $300 for a CPU and Mobo.
    With the saved cash, I would get an aftermarket heatsink so you can overclock and maybe an SSD. Then use the remaining for your monitor.
  4. Alright, I will do that. Thank you so much, manofchalk, King of men.

While we're here though, you've reminded me that my HDD is quite full and a second one wouldn't hurt. Is there any HDD you'd recommend in particular, or are they all pretty much the same (manufacturer wise, I mean, not size because yeah)?
    I say HDD over SSD because I think I'll benefit from the space more than the speed, at least at the current prices.
  5. Im fond of Seagate Barracuda's, cheaper than WD Blacks and just as good. MAke sure its the 64MB cache version, thats the latest model.
  6. Alright, I'm going with all that you've suggested. Thanks for all your help!
  7. Best answer selected by carbonf.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Motherboards Systems Product