Hardware upgrade boot problems

tonybs

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello,

This is my first post here, unfortunately it's because I have a problem.

I will start by saying that I've built this PC about 3 years ago by myself and it worked flawlessly from the first try.

I've started out with
Case: Coolermaster Elite 334
PSU: CoolerMaster GX750w
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9400(stock 2,66GHz, OCed to 3,2GHz on stock cooler)
RAM: Corsair DDR2 800MHz 2x2GB Dual Channel Kit
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 725MHz Core Clock
HDD: 2xWestern Digital (250GB Caviar Blue with OS on it, 1TB Caviar Black for Data) - I know, bad choice with the Blue one :p

Added:
CPU cooler: GAMMAX 300
RAM: Corsair DDR2 800MHz 2x2GB Dual Channel Kit

About 3 days ago my order for another kit of ram (the exact same model as the one I already have) and a CPU cooler (DeeoCool Gammax 300) was delivered and I was very excited. I had opened up the case, disconnected all the cables got everything out of the case and got rid of all the dust I could with a makeup brush and used a vacuum cleaner on the empty case. With 90% of the dust gone, I had started to piece it back together. The new cooler came with thermal paste already on it so I had just cleaned the old paste from the back of the CPU. Note that the old RAM never left it's place and I had just installed the new kit in the empty slots. With everything put back together I gave it a try for it's first boot and I didn't get anything, no beeps, no post, no video.

At that point, I had started breaking it apart again. I had reseated the CPU and the cooler and tried booting with the original RAM and resetting the CMOS, getting the same result, no beeps, no post, no video. The next thing I tried was booting with just the CPU and the cooler by themselves. No beeps, no post, no video.

After that I'd started breadboarding. I'd put the mobo on it's standoffs on a glass table with just the CPU and it's stock cooler, also, I've reset the CMOS. At that point it started beeping for some ram. I started by trying with one stick from the old kit in every slot until I would get the beep for the GPU. The first stick didn't work, I tried with the second stick from the old ram, I got the beep for GPU on the third slot. The next thing I had done was to instert the GPU and had another go with booting. Everything was OK, it passed the post and asked for something to boot an OS from. I insterted the HDD with the OS and booted again. At last, after one day of trying I had gotten into Windows.

With that last boot getting into Windows I figured I should try with the new sticks of ram to see maybe they're the problem and I did the same thing. Started with one stick, trying all the sockets, one at a time. The thing is, with the GPU and the HDD, I would still get no beeps, no post, no video, but by trying on sticks with just with the CPU and the new cooler I would get the beeps for the GPU so that meant that the sticks passed the post.

I forgot to mention that at some point in time when I got one of the sticks working, I had tried to set the RAM frequency, timings and voltage to manual in the BIOS and it didn't have any effect.

In the end, after trying all the sticks in almost all positions I got to the conclusion that all the sticks were OK and started trying to get the beeps for GPU missing with more and more sticks on and finally put all four of them and got it. At that point I put the GPU on and the HDD and tried to boot and VOILA it worked, it had booted into Windows for the first time after 2 days.

My first instinct was to check if all the RAM was showing and if the temps were OK for the CPU with the new cooler and then I had noticed that only 2 cores of 4 were showing. I googled a bit, found that I should just uninstall the CPU in the device manager and see if the boot.ini was limiting my core number but these things asked for a reboot and I had a bad feeling about booting... Eventually I would still have to reboot so I did and guess what, no beeps, no post, no video.

In conclusion, the only thing I know for sure is that if everything except the RAM is plugged in and I reset the CMOS (only the first time after I've removed the RAM) it beeps for RAM everytime I boot(1 long 2 short) and that every and all sticks of RAM have worked at some point in time. These two arguements point to the fact that all of the components are working if I'm judging this correctly, but still, something is not working properly.

I hope there's just something small and fixable that I've missed :p
Thanks,
T.

tonybs

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
OK, so I've sought professional help and it seems the CPU was busted. As soon as that dude tried another CPU it worked like a charm...Hope this helps someone

Thanks,
T.