[Troubleshooting] 10 second delay before Windows boots...

insomniac3334

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hello. When I got home from work yesterday, I powered on my machine only to notice a 10-second delay before the Windows 8 logo appeared. This has never occurred before yesterday, and I can't for the life of me figure out what would have caused it. I am a perfectionist with my computer and this is driving me insane.

Symptoms:

1.) When powering on or restarting my machine, directly after the INTEL(R) flash screen is finished displaying, an all-black screen with a blinking underscore in the upper-left-hand corner is displayed for a bit more than 10 seconds.

What I have tried:

1.) Reset BIOS to system defaults.
2.) Updated BIOS to latest version.
3.) Double-checked that AHCI mode is enabled

Recent Changes/Updates:

None, except for two regularly-scheduled Windows updates a few days ago:

1.) Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2770816) installed on 2/6
2.) Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538242) installed on 2/6

Relevant Past Issues:

1.) The last time I remember this occurring was about a year ago when I had Windows 7 installed on my HDD. For some reason, when set to AHCI Mode in the BIOS, a similar pre-OS boot delay would occur. A subsequent BIOS update later fixed the problem, and I haven't seen the issue reoccur until just yesterday.

System Specs:
Self-Built Desktop

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with Media Center
Intel Core i5 2500k (Normally at 4.0GHz, currently at the default)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Intel Extreme Series DP67BGB3 Motherboard
16GB(4x4GB) G.Skill RIPJAWS DDR3-1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint 500gb 7200rpm HDD
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Soundcard
Rosewill Dual-Antennae PCIe x1 Wireless Adapter
SeaSonic 620-watt Modular PSU
Lian Li PC-K58W Lancool case
HP DVD writer

Thank you very much for any assistance!

insomniac3334

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I reset boot priority in my BIOS, so that my hard drive/SSD are 1st in line, and the delay has gone away! It appears to be my DVD drive that is causing the delay. I'm nor sure if it's trying to read the DVD inside or what.

TRENDING THREADS