Any suggested changes?

ShadowSlayer

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hey people! So yeah I'm new to this forum and I'm just getting into HardWare, but thats for another thread. I was wondering if there is any recomended changes to this set up? I haven't baught it yet, but it'll be mainly for gaming, and maybe some video editing.

CPU: Intel i7 3770K
Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65
RAM: G.SKILL G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL Ripjaws X (16GB total)
GPU/s: 2 X Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Dual-X 3GB GDDR5
SSD #1: Samsung pro series 840 250 GB
CPU cooler: Corsair H100I, will upgrade to custom loop
HDD #1: WD caviar black 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX850W
Optic #1: Asus standard DVD-RW
Optic #2: Asus DVD-RW
Optic #3: Multi card reader
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster S22B300H
Mouse: Razer Orochi Black Chrome
Mouse pad: Gaming OZONE Ground Level
Headset: CORSAIR Vengeance 1300 Analog
Chasis: THERMALTAKE Level 10 GT Snow Edition

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
My only consern in the size of the Level 10GT. Its gorgeous, but huge. For me, I'd go with a Level 10 GTS snow edition. Smaller, cheaper, but still more than enough room for crossfire.

Bejusek

Distinguished
Some things to consider:
- If mainly for gaming, drop the CPU to 3570k, no advantage in 3770k, neither in FPS nor OC. For occasional video editing 3570k will do good enough.
- I somewhat don't trust MSIs Z77 boards. I recommend Asrock Extreme4/6 or something from Gigabytes Z77 UD series.
- I know the case is a matter of personal taste, but the price for TT lvl 10 GT is just too high. Have a look at Corsair and Silverstone cases.
- My main concern is the monitor you chose. For dual 7970 you want 27" with 2560x1440, not some cheap, small Samsung. This would be useful for video editing too.
- For video editing build 1TB of storage seems not enough.

ShadowSlayer

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Right, hey people. I have also asked this question on hardwareheaven.com , and I am being told there I should change my RAM. case etc etc. I will look for a new case later today and post here, also I'll look for a new Mobo.

ShadowSlayer

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
OK then, just went through all my parts, and thought, stuff it. I started from scratch, I have made a few changes (mobo, RAM, GPU[went up a model]) But the case remains. I really like this case and this PC needs to last me a long time (min like 4 yrs), so I at least want a case I like. As long as everything will fit in the case nicely, I will keep this case until I find a nice one, that is cheaper than this one. Well here are the new specs, any of you pro's have some criticism/advice?

■Case: Thermaltake level10 GT snow edition
■CPU: intel i7 3770k
■RAM: Corsair Vengance at 2133MHz (set me back a bit more money, but it was the only RAM they had that came in sticks of 8GB and not 4GB)
■PSU: Corsair HX 750W
■Mobo: ASrock Z77 Extreme6
■SSD: Samsung 840 pro series 250GB
■HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
■GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC With Boost 3GB GDDR5
■Standard card reader and DVD-RW drive
■Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster S23B300H

Bejusek

Distinguished
Looks good to go. Those vengeance modules have tall heatspreaders, so if you are going with air cooling take it into consideration. In the initial post you mentioned H100i, if you are going to buy it, then there is no problem.

Edit:
So it is H100. Green light then.

ShadowSlayer

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hmm, it seems as though the H100I's fans are meant to be noisy, would the Corsair sp120 low noise edition fans, replacing the stock ones for the H100I affect the performance of the cooler greatly?

Bejusek

Distinguished
H100i fans are better than those in H100. In fact they are based on SP120, but have higher rpm to increase the air pressure. You won't find a fan that is silent at 2300rpm, and imo it doesn't make sense to invest in replacement fans, when you can adjust the speed of included fans in corsair link software. You can choose between balanced, performance and quiet presets, as well as set them to fixed % or rpms. I don't know if it is possible to create custom fan speed curve, like you would do in Afterburner. There is a custom option, but I don't know how it works. It's time to read the manual.

When gaming both H100i fans and HD7970 fans will become audible, that's for sure, but, at least for me that's acceptable. During web surfing and light workload these fans will be quiet.

Actually fan speed is not the only thing the that increases static pressure. It has actually very little effect on some fan designs.