Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Driving myself insane....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 26, 2012 4:22:52 AM

So, I thought I would just get a Kepler. Im probably not going to upgrade for a while after this. Should I get:

670 PE or 680 PE or 680 Lightning?

$374,,,,,,$454......$499


or SLI 2 670s?

This is just for gaming.

More about : driving insane

a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2012 4:33:08 AM

670s in SLI or 660Ti SLI which outperforms a single 680 for about $50 more...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2012 4:36:18 AM

just get a single 670 . should be more than enough for every game
m
0
l
Related resources
December 26, 2012 4:38:44 AM

I was watching the youtube video of SLIing 670s and it was beating the 680. Thats why I hesitated before I clicked buy and was wondering...hmmm 670 then??? Is a Corsair HX850 enough for SLI?

Saw on Newegg....SLI 670s-----$750
Single 670-------$359
Single 680------$459
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 4:44:16 AM

mohit9206 said:
just get a single 670 . should be more than enough for every game



I saw (this didnt help before I almost bought) on MSI's website, 670 good for gaming...680 Lightning...Best with it being 499, I was thinking of 680 PE which is 459
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2012 4:44:28 AM

mikeny said:
I was watching the youtube video of SLIing 670s and it was beating the 680. Thats why I hesitated before I clicked buy and was wondering...hmmm 670 then??? Is a Corsair HX850 enough for SLI?

Saw on Newegg....SLI 670s-----$750
Single 670-------$359
Single 680------$459

They do more than beat a single 680, they absolutely murder it. HX 850 is plenty for SLI 670s.
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 4:54:20 AM

cuecuemore said:
They do more than beat a single 680, they absolutely murder it. HX 850 is plenty for SLI 670s.



I saw on youtube that this guy SLI'd 2 670s and the difference between them and a 680 was over 100% on every account....something like a rediculous 125% or higher. Isnt it unfair 2 against 1? Seems like the 670s would win anyway since there are a clocked down disabled 680?
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 4:55:43 AM

By the way, hope im not sounding like my mind is made up, it's not. I just want to make sure that if I get the 670, Im not going to stare are the 680 thinking, damnm should of gotten that or got the 680 and looked at the 670 like damn, if it's a underclocked 680, why not just get the 680 and 1 card is better than one
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 5:11:50 AM

So this is what is also burning me and I hope I'm wrong or at least someone can explain it.....the 670 has (rounded) 1300 CUDA cores and the 680 has 1500 CUDA cores; and the 670 is a 680 only it's locked/clocked down, is this a big difference? Am I sacrificing if I go to the 670 instead of the 680?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2012 5:17:55 AM

Getting GTX 670 over 670 is ofcourse bad idea. Because GTX 680 smashes any other card there.
Get the GTX 680 PE. Or if possible get Lightning.

In future you can SLI them and get the most out of it. You'll beat GTX 690 with your SLI GTX 680.
Share
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2012 7:00:20 AM

mikeny said:
I saw (this didnt help before I almost bought) on MSI's website, 670 good for gaming...680 Lightning...Best with it being 499, I was thinking of 680 PE which is 459


trust me the 680 is NOT worth it over a 670 . its just not. ask anybody else and they will tell you the same
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2012 7:03:02 AM

Go here: http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards
Then compare 670 to 680.
You'll not see much of difference.

GTX 680 is meant to game at 5760x1080. So, if you don't game at that then 670 is the way to go.
And I don't mind if you get a GTX 680. Its all upon your budget and thinking ;) 
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 4:01:21 PM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Go here: http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards
Then compare 670 to 680.
You'll not see much of difference.

GTX 680 is meant to game at 5760x1080. So, if you don't game at that then 670 is the way to go.
And I don't mind if you get a GTX 680. Its all upon your budget and thinking ;) 



I saw the becnhmarks; the 680 was either top or right behind the 7970 GHZ edition. The 670 was 2 places behind the 680.

I looked on newegg, the 7970 GHZ is only $10-20 less than the MSI 680 PE edition and $50 less than the Lightning. I can afford all 3. Im thinking the Lightning is complete overkill.

I'm torn between the 670 (blue stripe) and possibly SLIing it since I saw the youtube videos showing that SLIing 670's destroys a 680 (over 125% or higher in tests) but 2 670s would be $750 ; or the 680 PE which is $450. Don't know if I'll get another 680; the card is huge. I do have the mPower MSI board which has 3 PCIe 3.0 slots along with 4 PCIe x1 slots (I need one for my sound card). If I SLI a 680 I think my sound card would have to come out (and a 690 would be worth it). The 670 is smaller than the 680 so I think SLIng it would allow me to keep the sound card.

* I saw the poster, Pis, who was naming all kinds of cards, then named the 670 PE....why do I feel that the 670 would be good and SLIing it (i have the itch) would make it a beast...over the 680?
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 4:20:44 PM

mohit9206 said:
trust me the 680 is NOT worth it over a 670 . its just not. ask anybody else and they will tell you the same



That's what made me pause before I buy. The chart Sum posted shows the 670 lagging behind the 680. I have Battlefield 3 and the framerates are higher on the 680 at my screen resolution.
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 4:32:41 PM

In Future Mark it shows the 680 as being the fastest but it sometimes beats the 7970 and sometimes it doesn't. If I can SLI a 670, wouldnt it be better- price/performance wise to get a 680 then since SLIing 670s would be $750 yet the 680 PE is $450 but...and this is the method of my madness cause it's tough....$375 for a 670 which doesn't lag far behind the 680, is it worth the extra $75 to get the 680? I saw on some of the scores, the 670 scores 300-800 points less than the 680 which is significant?
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 5:13:09 PM

legendkiller said:
670s in SLI or 660Ti SLI which outperforms a single 680 for about $50 more...


I think I'm torn between 670 and 680.
SLI'ing 670s would be $750; isn't it better just to get the single powerful card; 680?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2012 5:19:35 PM

mikeny said:
I think I'm torn between 670 and 680.
SLI'ing 670s would be $750; isn't it better just to get the single powerful card; 680?

a GTx 690 is more reasonable rather than two 680s but I rather get a 680 if your doing a single monitor...
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 5:22:36 PM

legendkiller said:
a GTx 690 is more reasonable rather than two 680s but I rather get a 680 if your doing a single monitor...



Yeah, not going to 690. Which is why...SLIing 670s, single, 670, or single 680 PE
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2012 6:59:26 PM

mikeny said:
So, I thought I would just get a Kepler. Im probably not going to upgrade for a while after this. Should I get:

670 PE or 680 PE or 680 Lightning?

$374,,,,,,$454......$499


or SLI 2 670s?

This is just for gaming.


first of all you havent mentioned your monitor resolution nor your power supply. :heink: 
if your resolution is only 1080p you absolutely do not need either a 690 or 670 sli. a single 660 ti or 670 would be sufficient.
also for sli you need atleast 600-700 watt quality psu
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2012 7:12:32 PM

mohit9206 said:
first of all you havent mentioned your monitor resolution nor your power supply. :heink: 
if your resolution is only 1080p you absolutely do not need either a 690 or 670 sli. a single 660 ti or 670 would be sufficient.
also for sli you need atleast 600-700 watt quality psu

a 690 is barely having 60-70 FPS at 1080p in Far Cry 3, anything lower will be from 1-45 FPS...
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 7:25:55 PM

mohit9206 said:
first of all you havent mentioned your monitor resolution nor your power supply. :heink: 
if your resolution is only 1080p you absolutely do not need either a 690 or 670 sli. a single 660 ti or 670 would be sufficient.
also for sli you need atleast 600-700 watt quality psu



I did mention PSU....Corsair HX850. Thought I did put; 1920x1080. No, not 690....680 or 670.
m
0
l
December 27, 2012 3:25:20 AM

Thanks everyone.
m
0
l
December 27, 2012 3:25:39 AM

Best answer selected by mikeny.
m
0
l
!